African and Diaspora Studies Course Listings
AFDS- 201C/H. Introduction to African and Diaspora Studies. 4 credits.
Introduction to the discipline of African and Diaspora Studies. Focus on the history (political, economic, psychological, artistic, and cultural) of people of African descent. Every year. No prerequisite.
AFDS- 270. Topics in African and Diaspora Studies 2-4 credits.
Topical approach to specific themes in African, African-American, and African Diasporic studies. Some sections may be writing intensive. May be repeated for credit.
AFDS- 492. African and Diaspora Studies Senior Project 2 credits.
An integrated learning opportunity geared toward assessing student understanding of theories, methods and concepts central to the discipline. Every year. Prerequisite: permission of program director
- 180A. Themes and Traditions in Literature (when African-American). 4 credits.
- 190A/C. Topics in Non-Western Culture (when African-American/Caribbean). 4 credits.
- 370. Studies in African American Literature. 4 credits.
- 360. Studies in the Novel (when African-American). 4 credits.
- 363. Major Authors (when African-American)
- 170C. Topics in African History. 4 credits.
- 171C/H. African Societies to 1500. 4 credits.
- 172C. African Societies Since 1500. 4 credits.
- 230H. African American History. 4 credits.
- 270. Topics in African History. 4 credits.
- 370. Topics in African History 4 credits.
- 113A. Jazz Styles. 4 credits.
- 234S. Black Politics. 4 credits.
- 176H. Racism and Social Ethics. 4 credits.
- 375R. Advanced Social Ethics: Racism. 4 credits.
- 277C/R. Islam and Islamic Societies. 4 credits.
- 301S. African American Social Thought
- 130A. Caribbean Literature. 4 credits.
Theatre & Dance
- 112A. Dance in Popular Culture. 4 credits.
- 210C. Dance Ethnology. 4 credits.