Accounting Major Requirements
ACCT 200 Accounting Information Systems
Requirements for Completion
Students must complete 38 hours of coursework in accounting. The students will be introduced to the breadth and depth of essential topics and practices in the field of accounting in the following manner:
- Students will receive an introduction to the way various organizations process accounting information in Accounting Information Systems.
- An in-depth study of financial accounting will be accomplished by completing a series of courses which will expand the students’ knowledge of the financial accounting profession. The progression is Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting I & II and Business Combinations.
- An in-depth study of management accounting will be accomplished by completing two courses which will expose the students to accounting methodologies necessary for internal reporting and techniques used in the management of organizations. These courses are Managerial Accounting and Cost Accounting.
- As students become more knowledgeable about financial and managerial accounting, they will then be able to broaden their knowledge by studying other fields of accounting: non-profit and tax accounting. The courses they will be required to take are Non-Profit Accounting and Federal Taxation.
- As students attain a more advanced level, they will be required to gain an understanding of the depth of the accounting profession by completing Auditing and the Senior Seminar. Both of these courses are writing intensive.