English Department Minors:
General English Minor - 20 Semester Hours
Of these 20 credits in English, no more than two credits can be in a non-literature based course.
- English 270A: Literary Form and Interpretation
- English 280A: British Literary Genealogies
- English 290A: American Literary Genealogies
Eight credit hours at the 300-level
Journalism Minor - 20 Semester Hours
- English 241: Beginning Journalism
- Communication 290S: Media Literacy
- English 320: Advanced News Writing OR English 321: Advanced Feature Writing
Two from the following...
- Art 145A: Introduction to Computer Imaging
- Art 241A: Introduction to Photography
- Communication 351: Media Law
- Communication 491: Internship (must be approved for minor)
- English 244: Opinion Journalism
- English 320 or 321 (whichever is not taken for the core requirement above)
- English 492: Internship (must be approved for minor)
Senior minors will also submit a portfolio of their journalistic work with a brief reflective essay.
Creative Writing Minor - 20 Semester Hours
- English 240: Beginning Creative Writing
Four from the following...
- English 340: Advanced Fiction
- English 341: Advanced Poetry
- English 342: Advanced Creative Non-Fiction
- English 343: Advanced Screenwriting
- English 344: Summer Screenwriting Institute
- English 403: Advanced Projects in Creative Writing
- Theater/Dance 240: Playwriting
NOTE: The creative writing and journalism minors can both be taken in combination with an English major with two courses overlapping; the journalism minor could also potentially overlap two courses with a communication major.
Certification for Teaching in English
Students interested in pursuing a course of study leading to a license to teach English should contact their advisor or the Education department for specific requirements. for the Integrated Language Arts Teacher Licensure Requirements.
(Includes requirements for all English Department minors)