Scholarly Activities: Conferences (2007- ) [updated April 2015]
– 10/3-4/2014: ““The Impact of National Cultures on Foreign Policy Making in a Multipolar World,” sponsored by the Centre on Asia and Globalisation (CAG) at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy and the Robert Bosch Stiftung Foundation in Germany. Paper: “The Impact of Culture in American IR & Foreign Studies: Implications for Russia/Soviet and China Studies in the US.”
– 9/22-23/2014: “New perspectives on Sino-Russian relations,” sponsored by the Norwegian Institute for Defense Studies, Oslo, Norway, Paper: “Global Governance for Russia and China.”
– 8/25-27/2014: “9th International Symposium on Sun Tzu’s Art of War,” Qingdao, China, sponsored by the Academy of Military Science of People’s Liberation Army. Paper: “Asymmetries of Sino-American Approaches to Security and Alliance.”
– 4/29-30/2014: “Ukraine Crisis and Great Power Relations,” workshop, Shanghai East China Normal University.
– 3/17-19/2014: “PLA and US Army War College Military Education Exchange” workshop with the PLA military scientist group, Chinese Military Science Academy in Beijing, in Carlisle, PA, presentation: “US Afghan Withdrawal and Implications for Central Asia.”
– 2/21-23/2014: “The PLA in 2025,” annual conference on Chinese military, Carlisle, PA.
– 11/10-12/2013: “Forum on US-China Relations, 2013,” The Carter Center, Atlanta.
– 8/24/2013: “Some Issues in the Current America Discourse in China,” opening speech for the First National Forum of Young Scholars of America Studies,” sponsored by Fudan University, Institute of America Studies in the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences in Beijing and Institute of Contemporary International Relations Studies in Beijing, Shanghai.
– 8/27/2013: “US Central Asia Strategy,” School of International Affairs, East China Normal University.
– 7/8/2013: “China’s Rise and Western IR Theories,” in the seminar “China’s Peaceful Rise and the Changing World,” Schools of International Affairs of East China Normal University, Fudan University and Peking University, Shanghai.
- 4/12/2013: Conference: “Misjudging the Rise of Asia—assessing what international relations got wrong and how Princeton responded,” Wallace Hall, Princeton University, paper, “IR Theories in the 1980s and the Case of the Beijing-Moscow-Washington Triangle.”
- 3/26/2013: “US-China Relations,” talk given to the Guangdong Research Institute for International Strategies, Guangzhou, China.
- 3/4-6/2013: “NATO Cooperation with the Asia-Pacific Region: What Potential Role for Engagement with China and the People’s Liberation Army?” Wilton Park Conference #1234, UK, invited as a commentator.
- 11/16/2012: Lecture, “Realism vs. Liberalism in Western Foreign and Security Studies,” at School of International Affairs, Xiamen University, Fujian Province, China.
– 4/12-14/2012: “US, China and Vision of World Order,” workshop sponsored by Princeton and Peking University, Princeton, NJ, paper, “In Search of Security and Self-identity: Promise and Paradox of China’s Nuclear Weapons.”
– 2/18/2012: “Learning by Doing, The PLA Trains at Home and Abroad,” annual PLA conference sponsored by the National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR), the US Marine Corps University and the Strategic Studies Institute of the US Army, Quantico, Virginia.
- 2/13/2012: Lecture: “2012 US Presidential Election and the China Factor: Implications for Sino-US-Russian Relations,” at the Guangdong Research Institute for International Strategies, Guangzhou, China.
– 2/3-4/2012: “International Conference on China’s Grand Strategy and Diplomatic Transformation,” University of Macao; paper: “China’s Uncertain Strategic Partners: Coping with Moscow in the Post-Soviet Era.”
– 7/9-12/2011: “The 10th Conference of Central Asia and Shanghai Cooperation Organization,” sponsored by the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences. Paper, “SCO, In Search for Its Identity.”
– 6/10-11/2011: MacArthur Asia Security Initiative 2011 Workshop: “US-China Relations and the World Order,” Lakeview Hotel, Beijing University, paper: “In Search of Security and Self-identity: The Promise and paradox of China’s Nuclear Weapons.”
– 2/14/2011: “PLA Conference,” PACOM, Camp Smith, Hawaii, sponsored by the National Bureau of Asian Research and Strategic Studies Institute of the US Army War College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Paper, “The PLA Examines the Small Wars and Counterinsurgencies Waged by Russia.”
– 10/22-24/2010: “PLA Conference, Other People’s Wars: PLA Lessons from Foreign Conflicts,” sponsored by the National Bureau of Asian Research and Strategic Studies Institute of the US Army War College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, October 22-24, 2010; paper: “The PLA Examines the Small Wars and Counterinsurgencies Waged by Russia and India.”
– 5/26-27/2010: The 10th Fudan-Pacific Forum dialogue, “Sino-U.S. Relations and Regional Security,” Fudan University, Shanghai, presentation, “Taiwan in US-China Relations.”
– 5/25/2010: presentation, “Domestic determinants of Obama’s China policy,” Center for International Studies, Shanghai.
– 5/13-14/2010: Conference, “Chinese Foreign Policy at Its Cross-Road: A Grand Strategy in Call?” University of Macau, paper, “China’s strategy toward Russia.”
– 8/29-31/2009: “Independence, Understanding and Cooperation: Conference on China’s 60 Years of Foreign Relations, by Center for China and World, Beijing University [自主、理解、合作——中华人民共和国对外关系60年学术研讨会”，北京大学中国与世界研究中心].
– 5/10-12/09: China-ROK-Japan-U.S. Quadrilateral Dialogue: Security, Interests, and Identity in the 21st Century,” Co-sponsored by Shanghai Institute for International Studies & Pacific Forum CSIS, Shanghai.
– 10/15-16/08: “Who Will Lead the World?” 7th Expert Conference on International Relations, Munich, Germany, sponsored by the University of Bonn and the BMW Foundation.
– 10/21/08: “China Seminar,” US Army Directed Studies Office, US Army Chief of Staff, Washington D.C.
– 9/7-10/08: “China: Power and Reassurance,” Strategic & Defense Studies Center,
Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
– 8/13-15/2008: The 8th Fudan-Pacific Forum dialogue,“Sino-U.S. Relations and Regional Security,” Honolulu, Hawaii.
– 8/13/2008: China-U.S.-Taiwan Trilateral dialogue,“Cross-Strait Relations,” Honolulu, Hawaii.
– 7/21-24/08: Wilton Park Conference on “Nuclear Stability in Asia,” Presentation, “Evolving Strategic Relationships: Russia and China,” Winston House, Steyning, West Sussex, BN44 3DZ, United Kingdom.
– 5/26/2008: “The Rise of China and India: Understanding the New ‘New World Order’@ Harvard University-Berlin Dialogue, Berlin, Germany, Sponsored by the Harvard Center for European Studies. Keynote speech, “Will the Elephant and Dragon Fly, Together, Peacefully, and Continuously?— Implications for the Rise of China and India Into the 21st Century,” [Voice recording: http://www.ces-berlin.fas.harvard.edu/podcasts.htm]
– 4/16/2008: Stanford University East Asian Studies, “On Common Ground 2008,” presentation, “US-China Relations, 30 Years After.”
– 12/15-16/07: “China’s Geopolitics,” School of International Affairs and Public Policy, Fudan University, Shanghai.
– 12/10-11/07: “Russia in 2020,” 11th session for the “Working Group on Challenges for Europe, Russia and the Other Former Soviet States,” Chatham House, London, UK. – 10/22/2007: Medical Strategic Leadership Workshop, US Army Medical Dept Center & School, Ft. Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas; presentation topic: “China, Asian Security, and Implications for U.S.”
– 7/13- 7/16/2007: 20th Annual ACPS Conference, San Francisco: “Hu’s Harmonious World: beyond Cultural Interpretations.” For the conference: “Harmonious World–New Thinking in Chinese Domestic & Foreign Policies” Center for US-China Policy Studies, San Francisco State University.
– 5/24-25/07: “China’s Energy Strategy in the non-Western World,” National Chungchi University, Taipei, Taiwan ROC. Presentation: “Different Models for Energy Security”; Discussant for the penal, “China in Central Asia.”
– 3/15-19/07: Wilton Park Conference, WP843, “China’s Growing International Security and Diplomatic Role,” Wilton Park, Wiston House, West Sussex BN44 3DZ, UK. Presentation: “Can China and Russia Share A Common Strategic Outlook?”