Synod Hall and its former neighbor Leamer Hall (razed May 2004) were originally constructed in 1953 as part of the Hamma Divinity School. Hamma thrived on campus as one of the premier Lutheran theological seminaries until 1978 when it merged with Capital University's Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus, Ohio. After Hamma relocated, the buildings served as the location for the humanities on campus prior to the construction of Hollenbeck Hall. Currently, the building houses the economics department, the Computing Center and the Upward Bound program. The Wittenberg Computing Solution Center, located on the first floor (lower level) of the hall, offers technical support, computer assistance and computer instruction to the entire campus community for both laptops and PCs.