1. Alert people in your laboratory or immediate area to the fire. Evacuate the laboratory.
2. Have someone pull the FIRE ALARM. This is a LOCAL SIGNAL only and does not automatically call the Fire Deparment. Call 9-911 as soon as possible.
3. If possible, control fire with extinguisher if training or experience or common sense tell you that you can. Fight the fire from a position of escape. Take no risk if the fumes from the burning material are unknown to you.
4. Contain the fire by closing hoods and doors when evacuating area.
5. A person with clothing on fire should be drenched under the safety shower located at exit of each lab. Afterward, wrap the person in a blanket to protect against shock.
6. Do not use elevators to leave the building.
7. Wait for the Fire Department outside of the main entrance of the building. Give them as much information as possible. Give them master keys to various lab areas if possible.
8. Do not re-enter building until Fire Department gives "all-clear" signal.