2016 Entrepreneurial Business Award Winner
Note for the Teacher:
Below are some suggestions for the video featuring C&N Contractors, the 2016 Entrepreneurial Business Award winner. The video features Plato Pavlatos, owner of C&N Contractors. We hope you will find this video useful in teaching your students the importance of entrepreneurship and business innovation. Enjoy!
- 2016 EBA Award Witt Consultants
Goals and Objectives:
* Help students to understand an assortment of business concepts and how they apply to businesses in the community
* Highlight local businesses and organizations that can provide opportunities for student employment.
* Inform Students about the EBA Award and its potential benefits to businesses within Clark and Champaign Counties.
* Enable students to apply business knowledge on a practical level within the work place.
* Show students the innovative practices the winner of the 2016 edition has developed.
* Entrepreneurial Business Award (EBA): Award which promotes the entrepreneurial and innovative spirit in Clark and Champaign Counties.
* Entrepreneur: One who organizes, manages, and assumes the risks of an innovative business or enterprise.
* Innovation: Two meanings: 1) The introduction of something new 2) A new idea, method or device
* Differential Advantage: Something that establishes a business as superior to its competition
* LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Certification: Awarded to buildings based on their resource efficiency. Part of the Green Business Council, this certification has four categories: Certified, Silver, Gold, and Platinum
* Platinum Certification: The highest certification for a building, based on five design categories: sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy & atmosphere, materials & resources, and indoor environmental quality.
* Introduce the Entrepreneurial Business Award, its goals and objectives.
* Ask students to share what they believe determines a “successful business”
* Divide the students into groups and ask them to define the vocabulary terms above and to come up with their own examples. Each group should present their ideas to the class.
* Provide the students with a handout of the following questions and ask them to answer the questions as they watch the video:
o What are the main goals of the company?
o What does this company do that is innovative?
o What role does innovation play in its operations?
o What does this company have that is unique and sets it apart from other businesses in the industry?
o What can other businesses learn from the success of this company?
Post-Video Wrap Up:
* Discuss the answers to the questions after the video presentation
* Ask the students to share several companies that they believe are innovative and ask them why.
* Ask the students to share why they think the Entrepreneurial Business Award is important to Clark and Champaign Counties
1. What are the main goals of the company?
2. What does this company do that is innovative?
3. What role does innovation play in its operations?
4. What does this company have that is unique and sets it apart from other businesses in the industry?
5. What can other businesses learn from the success of this company?
Dr. Tim Bode, Professor of Marketing