More than $350,000 in music scholarships are awarded annually.
Several dozen scholarships are awarded each year, available to all students regardless of major, for orchestral and band instruments, voice, piano, organ, and guitar.
You need to complete your audition by Mar. 1 before your first year at Wittenberg.
Click here to choose one of the dates below, request a different date, or submit a recorded audition.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Dr. Daniel Kazez, Professor of Music & Music Audition Coordinator
tel: 937-327-7354 (or 800-677-7558, ext. 7354)
Two contrasting songs, one in a foreign language if possible.
1. Two compositions or movements in contrasting style, one of which demonstrates technical proficiency. (For percussion, solos in two of these areas: snare drum, timpani, mallets.) About ten minutes total duration.
2. Major scales, memorized, up to four sharps/flats. Strings: two or three octaves. Woodwinds: one or two octaves, as appropriate for your instrument (clarinet/sax: in the key of your instrument). Plus a chromatic scale in one octave. Brass: one or two octaves, in the key of your instrument. Piano: three octaves, hands together.
After You Submit Your Audition Request Form…
1. Ask two teachers to fill out and submit a recommendation form.
2. If you are a singer, an accompanist will be provided for your audition. (But an accompanist is not required for instrumental auditions.) At least two weeks before your audition, send copies of your vocal sheet music to:
Dr. Daniel Kazez
Professor of Music & Music Audition Coordinator
200 West Ward St.
Springfield, OH 45501-0720
Or send via fax (937-327-7347) or email (email@example.com).
Audition Location, Parking, and Accommodations
Auditions are held in Krieg Hall (the music building) at 632 Woodlawn Ave., Springfield, Ohio.
Free parking is available in the Student Center Parking Lot (across the street from Krieg Hall, on the other side of Ward Street), and in the Krieg Hall Parking Lot (just to the east side of Krieg Hall). If you are visiting Wittenberg from out of town, you might wish to check this list of Springfield hotels.
If you arrive by air: The Dayton Airport is a little over 30 min. from Wittenberg. The Columbus Airport is a little over 60 min. To get from either airport to Wittenberg, renting a car is the simplest option. Arriving without your parents? The Wittenberg Office of Admission (877-206-0332 or firstname.lastname@example.org) can provide transportation for you.
Music scholarships are renewable annually, as long as you are in good academic standing and you fulfill the requirements of the scholarship (see below). All students, regardless of major, are eligible; music majors are eligible for the largest music scholarships. Financial need is not a determining factor for music scholarships. Learn more about need-based financial aid.
To maintain a talent-based scholarship in music, a student must fulfill these conditions:
Every semester on campus, successfully participate in a large music ensemble (as assigned by directors of the ensembles):
Voice - Wittenberg Choir or Wittenberg Singers
Woodwind, brass, percussion - Wittenberg Symphonic Band
Strings - Wittenberg Chamber Orchestra
Other instruments - An assigned ensemble appropriate for the student
- Every semester on campus, successfully participate in applied music lessons, with a grade of at least B- on a cumulative basis. You will be billed for these applied music lessons; however, your music scholarship award is sufficient to cover this expense.