One of the most important management decisions you will make is the selection of a new employee. What can you do to help ensure that you get the best person available? What are your responsibilities in the hiring process? The purpose of this Recruitment Procedures Manual is to help answer these questions by providing an overview of the policies, procedures and responsibilities for which the hiring supervisor will be accountable.
Your role at the beginning of the hiring process is critical. This vacancy creates an opportunity for you to rethink how your department goes about getting its work done - make sure you know what you want, and design the search process accordingly.
The primary goals in filling a vacancy are to hire qualified talented individuals who have an institutional fit and meet the current departmental needs; to increase the representation of staff from diverse ethnic groups and to encourage career growth of current staff members.
Wittenberg's commitment to developing a diverse workforce prompts us to take positive steps to recruit, hire, train and promote qualified individuals from diverse ethnic backgrounds. For example, we must generate applications from members of minority groups, rather than simply waiting to receive them; be flexible in defining positions; and be willing to provide the necessary training and support. In this sense, diversity management goes beyond equal employment opportunity, which requires employers to eliminate discriminatory conditions.
The university's strength over its long history is based on the quality of its faculty, staff and students and their efforts to excel. The quality of our people determines the quality of the university. Careful consideration and attention to the hiring process are essential to maintaining our standard of excellence.
- Sample Telephone Prescreening Form
- Interview Evaluation
- Background Check - Summary of Rights, FCRA Authorization, FCRA Disclosure, Reference Release
- Telephone Reference Check / Sample Reference Questions
- Request To Hire- PDF fillable
- Request To Hire (Faculty) - PDF fillable
- Request to Fill A Vacancy (Faculty) - PDF fillable
Request to Fill A Vacancy - PDF fillable
- Note: If the PDF fillable forms don't open in PDF fillable format, click the "Open with a different viewer" button in the upper right corner of the forms then select the radio button "Open with Adobe Acrobat" and the forms should open as a PDF fillable forms. After completing, you must still print the forms to route for signatures.