Upward Bound is a pre-college preparatory program that is designed to motivate and provide academic skills for students from first-generation college and low-income families who are interested in pursuing an educational program beyond high school.
There are many different components that make up the Upward Bound Program. At Upward Bound, people live, work and learn together in an atmosphere that is very supportive and dedicated to producing free-thinking individuals. Upward Bound at Wittenberg University conducts, each summer, a residential program for first-generation college and culturally diverse high school students who have the potential to succeed in college, but may need motivation, encouragement, strengthened basic skills, or a sense of how education can become meaningful in their lives. The program in one dimension emphasizes preparation in English, math, foreign language, literature, reading, study skills, and laboratory science, but offers courses in other areas, as well. In addition, there are many activities, trips and other experiences designed to help students grow and mature. Upward Bound is neither a traditional summer school nor a summer recreation program. It is a place in which a unique community of study and play, of personal search and group concern, develops anew each summer, with the nature of each summer dependent upon what each student and staff member brings to the common sharing of life and thought.
Upward Bound Staff Members
- Mr. Eddie L. Chambers, Program Director
- Mrs. Phyllis M. Swanigan, Assistant Director
- Ms. Cara Henry, Academic and Career Education Coordinator
- Ms. Kim White, Staff Assistant
Auction Bidding is now open: Greetings Upward Bound Alumni and Friends! Eric Bess, a Wittenberg graduate, has donated one of his paintings to our 50th Anniversary Reunion. The proceeds will be used to benefit our scholarship fund. This painting is entitled "Faith" and is created in oil paint. It is 18x24 inches long, framed, and varnished. It will make a beautiful painting to hang in your home or office. Click to bid... All proceeds to benefit the Upward Bound Scholarship Fund.
Who is Eligible?
- Students who are recommended by teachers, counselors, social service agencies and others and are well acquainted with their academic potential for success in college.
- Students either from low-income families or with parents who have not received a bachelor's degree.
- Students who are citizens or nationals of the United States.
- Students who are permanent residents of the United States.
- Students who are enrolled at Springfield High School, located in Springfield, Ohio. However, other students from local area high schools will be considered provided they live within the City limits.
- Students who are in the 9th, 10th, or 11th grade.
- An estimated 2 million students have graduated from college with the support and assistance of our nation's TRIO Programs.
- TRIO graduates predominately attend four year colleges.
- Students in the Upward Bound program are four times more likely to earn an undergraduate degree than those students from similar backgrounds who did not participate in the program.
- Students in the TRIO Student Support Services program are more than twice as likely to remain in college than those students from similar backgrounds who did not participate in the program.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments about this web site.
Postal Address: Upward Bound Program, Wittenberg University, P.O. Box 720, Springfield, Ohio 45504
Wittenberg Upward Bound Program
Last modified: February 6, 2017
- Click on the link and select Scholarships
- Click on Choose Your Gift Designation and select "Other/Not Listed Above"
- Locate the box that states, "Please specify your designation", and type Upward Bound Program
Hey, Upward Bound Alumni! Wittenberg Upward Bound is now on Twitter! Follow us @WittUpwardBound for additional updates!!!!