Wittenberg students will have a chance to ignite their future via the University’s Career and Professional Development Office while they re-charge and re-fuel on Wednesday, March 10, during the Tiger Time Break Day.
Featuring fun, relaxation, food, and virtual alumni/student networking sessions on attending law school, medical school, careers in sustainability, and technology, this Tiger Time Break Day will kickstart the annual Commit to Witt Day of Giving and Founder’s Day celebration on March 11.
“In addition to the fun student activities that are planned, we will be providing opportunities throughout the day for students and alumni to connect for career and professional development,” said Heath Queen, program lead and internship coordinator in the Career and Professional Development Office. “This will include opportunities for students to attend alumni panels, workshops, a keynote address with a Target Corporation executive, and even a virtual networking event. We believe that we have a slate of excellent alumni presenters who will be able to connect well and add value to our students.”
As part of igniting their futures, students can start the day off by attending virtual panel sessions from 10:30-11:30 a.m.:
The Med-School Alumni Panel will feature current students attending medical school providing advice from their experience surrounding selecting a school, applications, the MCAT, and changes in med-school due to COVID-19. Click Here To Register
The Law-School Alumni Panel will feature recent law school graduates who will provide advice from their experience surrounding selecting a school, applications, the LSAT, and other helpful information for those interested in pursuing a JD. Click Here To Register
Damu McCoy, Wittenberg class of 1994, will be the keynote speaker. As vice president of talent acquisition at Target Corporation, his address is titled “Discussion on the Future of Work and the Evolving Recruitment Landscape” and will take place from noon to 1 p.m., virtually.
“At the halfway point of the semester, this Tiger Time Break Day will focus on helping students re-charge, re-fuel, and ignite their future,” said Jon Duraj, senior associate dean of students for student success and COMPASS director. “Throughout the day, students can connect via career panels with Wittenberg alumni to learn about various career paths and graduate school paths, attend a workshop to explore potential career and major plans, and join the virtual Happy Hour with Wittenberg alumni to celebrate Wittenberg’s Founders Day and Commit to Witt.”
Workshop sessions will take place from 2-3 p.m. and feature the following:
- Cover Letter Workshop (Hollenbeck Hall room 124): This session will teach students how to construct an effective cover letter and show them how to make it pop for potential employers or graduate programs. Click Here To Register
- The Pathway U Workshop: Pathway U is a personality and career assessment program. The tool is used to evaluate ‘you’ based on values, workplace preference, personality, and general interests. Click Here To Register
- Note: All Pathway U Workshop attendees will receive a custom Wittenberg t-shirt.
Students wishing to have their resume reviewed can drop-in at the COMPASS: Sweet Success Center, located inside the Thomas Library, from 3-4 p.m.
Other virtual panel sessions will take place from 4-5 p.m.:
- Careers in Tech: This panel will feature alumni working for tech companies sharing insights on their experience working in the industry. Alumni from Google, Twitter, and Pinterest will be participating. Click Here To Register
- Careers in Sustainability: This panel will feature alumni working across a broad range of roles related to sustainability. Listen to how their work intersects with sustainability issues and how they see their work contributing to better stewardship of the environment. Click Here To Register
Students can re-charge from 2 to 7 p.m. on the lower level of the Benham-Pence Student Center with zero-gravity massage chairs, sensory relaxation chairs, and compete for prizes at the glow-in-the-dark arcade in Founders. There might be a “W” cookie waiting for you! If a cookie isn’t enough, re-fuel every 90 minutes beginning at 2 p.m. with the various pop-up food stations on the main level of the student center. From 2 to -3:30 p.m. students can attend the build-your-own churros and ice cream bar. Then from 3:30 to 5 p.m., they can create their own homemade chip nachos featuring buffalo dip and other unique toppings followed by making a street taco from 5 to 6:30 p.m.
An alumni virtual networking event will take place from 6-7:30 p.m. to conclude the Tiger Break Day. All participants will watch a brief live-streamed video and then self-select into a breakout room of choice to begin a moderated conversation with other alumni, students, and friends. This session will take place over Microsoft Teams. Click Here To Register
For additional information check out the Career Services page below.