Skip to Content

Planned Giving - Securities

A gift of appreciated stock is a very attractive way to give to Wittenberg University.

Not only does your gift enhance the educational opportunities we are able to offer our students, but you may also realize a substantial tax savings. This is most advantageous when you have owned the stock for at least one year and the stock has appreciated in value.

Your gift of long-term appreciated stock will entitle you to a charitable deduction equal to the mean market value of the stock on the date of your gift, and you avoid capital gains tax on the stock's appreciation. Generally speaking, you should not transfer depreciated stock.

How do I transfer appreciated stock?

Your broker can electronically transfer shares of stocks or bonds and DTC-eligible securities to Wittenberg University through our brokerage account. Here is the information your broker will require:

The Northern Trust Company
DTC Participant #2669
Park National Bank Custodian Acct #17-88268
FBO: Wittenberg University, Gift Acct #A1578-1

How do I transfer a Mutual Fund?

Your broker should contact us directly to obtain specific account information needed to transfer from an open-ended mutual fund. You can contact us at or call us at (937) 327-7421 to speak with our director of advancement services.

Because your name will NOT be disclosed to the broker when your stock gift transfers, please advise our director of advancement services directly at (937) 327-7421 when you make your gift so that we can properly credit it.

It is also important to note that a gift of stock is not considered complete until it arrives in our brokerage account, which can take up to 2-3 business days. Please be aware of this if you are making a year-end contribution for tax planning purposes.

Please contact us for instructions if you have physical possession of stock certificates and wish to endorse and send them to Wittenberg University directly, or if you wish to fund a life income gift (such as a charitable gift annuity, a charitable lead trust, a charitable remainder trust, or a pooled income fund) with appreciated stock.

Back to top