Destiny Paulen, Class of 2021
Majors: Biology and Spanish
Hometown and state: North Canton, Ohio
Why Wittenberg: “I chose Wittenberg for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I knew I could find my home here. When I visited the first time, I felt like everyone was smiling and saying hello to each other. It seemed as though there were no strangers. I saw professors and students interacting in the halls, outside, and all over campus. I knew I would easily find a family of friends and professors here, and in the last four years, I have found that and more. At Witt, doors are always open. You can often find students interacting with each other and with their professors all over campus, and there are always opportunities for new experiences. It was the perfect place to call home for four years.”
- Lab Goggles: My lab goggles remind me of all my hard work in my labs as a biology major, and all the fun memories from being a peer mentor in the general biology lab.
- Tutor Sign: As a Spanish tutor, I made so many memories with my students and professors. The Language Learning Center will always feel like a second home to me.
- Alpha Xi Delta letters: My sorority gave me some of my best friends here on campus.
- Sigma Delta Pi Pin: Becoming a member of the Spanish Honor Society and working as the president this year taught me so much about Spanish-speaking cultures and allowed me to share cultural knowledge with my fellow students.
- Basotho Blanket: I got this blanket while I was on the service trip to Lesotho as a junior. This trip and my time in LNI (Lesotho Nutrition Initiative) are the source of many of my great memories from my time here.
- Spanish Honors Thesis: This thesis is one of my biggest accomplishments. It was 36 pages, the longest I have ever written in my second language.
- Biology Honors Thesis: One of my other huge accomplishments. Reminds me of my research in acid rain and all my favorite moments with Dr. Collier.
- Wittenberg Review of Literature and Art (2018): This was the first time I was published for a poem I wrote in English 101.