Helpful Tips for an Enjoyable Commencement Weekend
Commencement Tip #1
To receive your forwarded first class mail, all students must update their address and demographic information in the My Witt Portal. This would include future addresses (if different), phone, email address (non-Wittenberg email), etc. Post graduation, please email any of these changes to email@example.com or update here!
Commencement Tip #2
The class of 2022 will livestream its Baccalaureate Service held live in Weaver Chapel on Wittenberg’s Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/wittenberguniversity) on Friday, May 13, with pre-service music beginning at 4 p.m., and the ceremony at 4:15 p.m.
Baccalaureate is an academic and religious tradition that celebrates the upcoming commencement festivities surrounding graduating students. It is a time to reflect on seniors’ time at Wittenberg, and to look to faith as they begin the next step in their journey. Planned with members of the senior class, many graduating seniors will participate in the service through reading scripture, sharing reflections, and taking part in special music.
Commencement Tip #3
In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will be held in the Pam Evans-Smith Arena, located inside the HWA. Tickets will be required for an indoor ceremony. Each graduate will receive four tickets. Tickets will be available for pick-up during the 25 Days ‘til Graduation & Senior Salute event on Thursday, April 28, 2022. Please have your student ID ready. Extra tickets may be requested, but are not guaranteed. To request extra tickets, please click here. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Brandee Bates Kern at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commencement Tip #4
GradImages is the official photographer for Wittenberg University Commencement. A professional photographer will take an individual picture of each graduate as they meet the president at mid stage. There will be a staged photo of each graduate with the diploma prior to being seated.
Commencement Tip #5
We are planning for traditional Commencement Exercises, beginning at 11 a.m. Access to Commencement Hollow will be restricted until 9 a.m. All guests must be seated by 10:30 a.m.
Commencement Tip #6
Wittenberg University will be Live Streaming the commencement ceremonies for those who cannot be in attendance. It can be viewed at https://www.wittenberg.edu/live under the live events tab. It can also be viewed 24 to 48 hours after the event as an archived video.
Please feel free to share with those that are not able to attend.
Commencement Tip #7
In order to allow these guests to gather safely for the Ceremony, we will be closing East and West Campus Drives at 8 a.m. on May 14.
- The exit to N. Plum Street (the road behind Koch Hall) will be reversed so that vehicles cannot exit onto N. Plum St. from west campus drive and instead vehicles will be able to enter from N. Plum St. at 8 a.m. to allow easy access to the Recitation Hall and Carnegie Hall parking lots to accommodate parking for handicap guests only.
- To help alleviate traffic congestion, there will be no west bound traffic on West Ward St. between Woodlawn Ave. and N. Wittenberg Ave. Vehicular traffic will be redirected down Woodlawn Ave. to W. College Ave.
- Officers will be at these locations to assist you and your family and friends. Officers will also be at various other locations to assist you with your needs. In the event of inclement weather and Commencement is held at the Health, Wellness & Athletics Complex, we will not regulate traffic on Ward. The handicapped parking for an indoor Commencement is located in the Upper Lot (across from HWA). Guests with disabilities can enter the HWA via the entrance facing Bill Edwards Drive.
Commencement Tip #8
For your last minute Wittenberg University apparel and mementos the University Bookstore will be open the following hours over the Commencement Weekend:
- Saturday 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Commencement Tip #9
The bell which hangs in the cupola atop of Myers Hall will ring at 8:30 a.m. and again at 10:00 a.m. to indicate that Commencement Exercises will be held OUTSIDE. Please listen closely for the bell...it only rings for four occasions: new student days procession, commencement, the inauguration of a new president, and W Day.
Commencement Tip #10
Graduates are to meet at the designated line-up location NO LATER THAN 10:15 a.m.
If we are outside in Commencement Hollow, please plan to meet at the walkway outside Weaver Observatory and the Barbara Deer Kuss Science Center. If we are indoors, please plan to meet in the 1929 Gymnasium. Please locate the check-in tables at each location. Graduates will be lined up by number for the processional. You will receive this number when you check-in at the registration table.
A photographer will take your picture prior to walking across the stage. You will then receive your diploma cover and cross the stage where you will have another photo taken at center stage with the president.
Diplomas-the actual certificate will be available for pick-up after the ceremony at the post-Commencement reception on Alumni Way.
Commencement Tip #11
In Ohio the weather can change on a dime, and we want you to be prepared. Please:
- Bring or Wear Sunglasses;
- Bring or Wear Sunscreen - there is limited shade in Commencement Hollow;
- Hydrate - drink plenty of water prior to the ceremony;
- Umbrellas are NOT permitted to be open in the seating area once the ceremony starts. They block the view of the other guests. You can bring them to shield the sun or in case of rain, however, once the music begins they must be lowered.
Commencement Tip #12
Please CLEAN OUT your campus mailbox and complete an address forwarding form.