Based in the nation's capital of San Jose, the unique program combines opportunities for student-athletes to train and condition in their sport with intensive language instruction, general education courses and community service. Wittenberg partners with Veritas University and Beyond Sports, an international education and service-learning organization that uses sports as a vehicle to create meaningful, relationship-based global engagement opportunities, to offer the semester-long program.
Open to all majors, the program is designed to make study abroad more accessible to students who might otherwise find these opportunities difficult to pursue due to sports schedules, academic requirements, language barriers or cost.
Unlike many study abroad programs, the Wittenberg in Costa Rica program will allow student athletes, depending on the availability of their sport, to train with student athletes from all over the United States, and to have access to strength and conditioning facilities three days per week. In some cases, students may be able to train with professional athletes.
- A full semester program that will earn 16-18 credits (directly from Wittenberg University)
- No Spanish required
- Classes are taught by both Wittenberg professors and Veritas University professors
- Residence in Host Families
- Program Costs are Wittenberg University tuition, as well as room and board (ALL financial aid and scholarship, with the exception of work study awards, are applicable). Students will need to cover airfare as well as spending money
- Through our partnership with Beyond Sports, athletes are able to continue their training while abroad
- Complete language requirements and other Wittenberg general education requirements
- Completion of community service