Student Conduct FAQs

My child told me that they were involved in an incident and had been documented. What happens next?

  • Your student will receive a letter via their Wittenberg e-mail account with information on the hearing process and how to proceed. Information on the entire hearing process can be found in the online Student Handbook under Student Code of Conduct.

Will I be notified if my child violates University policy?

  • Not necessarily. We encourage students to speak with their parents when they are involved in the hearing process. Students must sign a FERPA release to share information with you. They can do this at However, parents are notified of outcomes involving alcohol and other drug violations and the students status has changed.

I received a letter in the mail telling me that my child has been found responsible for violating the University's alcohol and/or drug policy. How should I respond to this letter?

  • We hope that this letter is not the first time that you are hearing about this incident. We encourage students to speak with their parents prior to the letter being sent home. It is our hope that you will discuss the incident with your child. This can be a good opportunity for you to speak honestly with your child about your expectations and support them in making responsible choices.

My child is going through the disciplinary process. How can I help them?

  • You can help guide your student through the process and be supportive, while holding your student accountable to your expectations and the university's. You can also help identify and provide necessary interventions, such as alcohol or drug evaluations, anger management, and others, so that your student can be successful at Wittenberg and beyond. Allow and expect the student to set appointments, attend meetings, and fulfill sanctions. It is usually not helpful to the educational development of the student, or resolution of the matter, for you to try to manage the process for your student.

Do I need to hire an attorney to represent my child?

  • No. Students may have an attorney serve as an advisor but may not be represented by counsel. Students most often hire attorneys when there are criminal charges that relate to an incident. Within the conduct process advisors, including attorney's, are not permitted to verbally participate or speak on behalf of the student in the conduct process.

Can I serve as an advisor in the hearing process?

  • Yes. Students may have an advisor present during their hearing. Parents are able to serve as an advisor. The role of the advisor is to support the student; therefore, the student will be expected to answer all questions. If you would like more information about serving as an advisor to your student, please contact us.

How are sanctions decided?

  • Sanctions are determined by considering the following factors and others: nature of the violation, the student's role in the incident, the effect of the incident on others and on the student, the student's developmental and educational needs, and the student's prior disciplinary record. Mitigating and aggravating circumstances are considered.

Does the outcome go on my child's record?

  • If a student is dismissed from the university, a notation will be placed in the student's academic transcript permanently. For any student receiving a sanction less serious than dismissal, notations are not placed on the academic transcripts. However, the student will have a disciplinary record that is maintained in the Office of Student Development and may be requested by other schools.

My child was charged criminally. Why go through the University disciplinary system too?

  • The criminal justice system and the Wittenberg University Student Code of Conduct are not mutually exclusive. By virtue of being a student, your student is held responsible for upholding the standards of behavior in the Student Code, as well as public laws.
Back to top