Education at Wittenberg—Experience for the world
Theatre and dance invigorate every corner of Wittenberg’s campus, from contact improvisation exploding across the stage to experimental pieces in alternative spaces, from major Broadway musicals and ballet to student-written plays and hip-hop dance. Wittenberg’s diverse course offerings grant student artists and scholars robust classroom and laboratory environments.
Abundant opportunity guided by rigorous training
Practical opportunity is at the heart of Wittenberg’s program. Wittenberg Theatre and Dance students have the opportunity to perform, direct, choreograph, write, and design in both large-scale and studio theatre productions and dance concerts. Wittenberg Theatre and Dance also offers many work-study positions to grant experience in your field.
Chakeres Memorial Theatre
Located on Woodlawn Avenue, right next to Tower Hall, Chakeres Memorial Theatre contains a dance studio and a flexible black box theatre that seats 200 people, in addition to classrooms and offices for faculty members. Learn More...
As of Fall 2020, students are unable to declare a major or minor in Dance. Students who have previously declared will be able to complete the requirements. If you have questions, please check with your advisor, or contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
Theatre and Dance in the News:
- Lena Pirt '20: Lena Pirt’s Internship with Glimmerglass Festival Underscores Importance of Adaptability (published September 17, 2019)
- Jerry Metzker '86: Doors open for successful director and playwright (published October 3, 2019)
- 2019 Senior Salute-Christopher Rivière: Theatre Major and Communication Minor Shares His Wittenberg Experience (published May 5, 2019)
- Peking Opera Visit: Wittenberg Welcomes Acclaimed Opera Company for Campus Performance (published February 28, 2018)
- Following Your Passion: Kate Kingsley Lund ’94 Helps Children Be Resilient (published September 21, 2017)
- Beating the Odds – Not Another Statistic: Wittenberg’s Patton ’09 Is Combining Her Passions at the College of William and Mary (published August 22, 2017)
- David Herzog '06: Finding Success on Screen and Off (published July 12, 2017)
- Summer Theatre Internship: Wittenberg's Theatre Program Prepared Sarah Van Deusen '16 Well for Internship Opportunity (published August 6, 2015)