How Can I Register My Internship?
We are excited to get to work with you as you begin an internship experience in an upcoming semester. Please review all steps below to ensure a successful registration process. Career Services is always available to answer any questions that might arise along the way. Please know that internship registration must be done within 7 days of starting your experience. We are unable to register internships after completion or at the end of the experience. This is a forward looking process.
- Step 1: Secure Internship Site
You will need to have secured your internship site prior to registration. Typically this involves applying to open opportunities, interviewing, and being offered the role. Career Services can assist you with this process.
- Step 2: Meet With A Faculty Member
Meet with the faculty member you plan to have supervise your internship. Ensure that they approve of the experience and discuss learning goals, academic evaluation, and credit hours needed for the internship. This information is needed for your registration form.
- Step 3: Complete Registration Form
Login to Handshake using your university credentials. Click on "Career Center," then "Experiences," and finally "Request an Experience."
Things To Remember
- This must be submitted within a week (7 days) of starting your internship.
- You must know the name and email address for your faculty supervisor, department chair, and internship site supervisor.
- Please be aware that you must pay for each credit hour taken during the summer term or if overloading in a traditional academic year (August-May).
- Step 4: Await Approval
After reviewing your submission, Career Services will start the approval process. Once all electronic approvals have been received, the Registrar will add credit-bearing experiences to your account and it will be viewable in Self-Service.
- Step 5: Plan For Completion
After approval, you should be aware that you will be responsible for completing the academic evaluation assignments from your faculty supervisor. In addition, Career Services will require completion paperwork that will be emailed to you. You must submit these assignments to receive credit.
Requirements/Eligibility to Participate in an Internship
Faculty policies that regulate internships require that the student:
- Be in "good academic standing" (minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and not on academic probation);
- Has completed 64 semester hours toward the degree before starting the internship;
- Has completed all other prerequisites required by the supervising department;
- Present to the selected faculty internship supervisor a well-developed and completed Internship Agreement before the semester in which the internship is desired;
- Has earned no more than ten (10) semester hours of internship credit toward graduation.
In order to earn the specified number of credits, the student must:
- Complete a minimum of 35 hours of work for each credit earned;
- Consult with the faculty internship supervisor at mutually convenient times during the internship (no less than three times - beginning, midway through and at the end of the completion of the experience);
- Complete any other requirements agreed upon with the faculty supervisor;
- Complete all final documentation requested by Career Services (Employer Evaluation, Student Evaluation, Work Hours Log, Reflection Paper) and your faculty supervisor.