Scholarships are one way to provide impactful financial support for outstanding students—to help make their attendance at Wittenberg a reality. In many cases, the financial assistance provided by scholarships is a key factor in a student’s college choice. Gifts for scholarships help students to invest their energies more fully in their course work, and pursue internships and leadership opportunities that enrich their personal development and career preparation. Thanks to the generosity of donors, the following endowed scholarships have been established to support the educational endeavors of exceptional students and future leaders at Wittenberg.
Established by the members of the Wittenberg Alumni Board, this scholarship is awarded to children or grandchildren ("Legacies") of alumni during their senior year at Wittenberg.
In commemoration of their graduation from Wittenberg and in celebration of their 50th Reunion, the members of the Class of 1962 created this endowed scholarship to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg so future generations also may benefit from a Wittenberg education.
In commemoration of their graduation from Wittenberg and in celebration of their 50th Reunion, the members of the Class of 1963 created this endowed scholarship to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg so future generations also may benefit from a Wittenberg education.
Created by the Class of 2008 through its Senior Circle Class Gift, this scholarship provides financial assistance to incoming first-year students.
Created by the Class of 2009 through its Senior Circle Class Gift, this award provides financial assistance to Greater Springfield/Clark County area first-year students from Wittenberg's Upward Bound Program.
This Fund is created by Bethany E. Akerman '88 in memory of her father H. Eldon Akerman '60 in recognition of his dedication and service to the Lutheran Church. The Fund will provide financial assistance to students who are members of the Lutheran Church and are residents of Northwest Ohio at Wittenberg.
The Randy Albert Memorial Endowed Scholarship was established by co-workers and friends of Randy Albert. This award memorializing Randy shall be made to a student demonstrating financial need and who has completed the freshman year. The recipient is to be from Clark, Champaign, Madison, Miami, or Greene County; however, preference shall be given to a student from Clark County.
To honor the memory of Mr. and Mrs. Archie E. Albright of Akron, Ohio, members of their family, who are all Wittenberg alumni, have established this fund. Income from the principal is used for assistance to worthy students.
Dr. and Mrs. William J. Allison of Springfield, Ohio, established this award to be given to a qualified junior or senior pre-medical student from Clark County based on both merit and need.
Gifts honoring Mrs. Elizabeth Spielman Allison of Houston, Texas, provide scholarships for worthy students.
A bequest in 1975 from the estate of Mrs. Grace Allison, '32, of London, Ohio, was designated to establish a scholarship fund. The income each year is to be used to assist needy students from Madison, County, Ohio.
This award is made from a fund created by Chi Chapter and the Springfield Alumnae Association of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority in order to give recognition to a female Greek student who best exemplifies characteristics consistent with the ideals and goals of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority. The recipient must be a junior who has demonstrated good scholarship, leadership, excellent moral character, and significant involvement in the activities of her chapter house and the campus. Applicants are nominated by their respective sororities.
Prior to 1999 this scholarship was called Alpha Delta Pi Achievement Award.
A bequest in 1985 by Mrs. Lenore H. Anderson, of Springfield, Ohio the widow of the Rev. Anton L. Anderson, established this scholarship fund for students preparing for full-time service or ministry in the Lutheran Church of America.
A fund in the memory of Mr. James N. Andrews has been established. Andrews Scholars are management or economics majors who demonstrate academic ability, reflect probable success in a business career, and show financial need.
These scholarships were established in 1958 through a bequest made by Mrs. Alida Atwell-Smith of Massillon, Ohio, in memory of her parents, Albert and Nancy Nettleton Beuter. Income from this fund is used to provide scholarships in brass, composition, organ, percussion, piano, strings, voice, and woodwinds for applicants for admission to the Department of Music.
The University shall make available from the Fund annual undergraduate scholarship awards of up to $500 per student per year, regardless of class year; however, the total award distribution from the scholarship fund may not exceed $1,500.00 per year. The recipient(s) may be a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior. Each recipient shall be eligible for up to four consecutive years of such undergraduate scholarship awards, provided such recipient complies with the standards established by the University's Office of Financial Aid. It is the hope of the donors that their children or lineal descendents will supplement the income from the Fund in order to maintain the sums necessary to assure continuation of the undergraduate scholarship awards previously granted.
A bequest from Mr. Floyd Barger, '27, of Garden City, New York, established this fund in 1977. The income is to be used to support students, with preference to those who express an interest in journalism.
This scholarship was funded through a generous gift from Robert G. and Ruth K. Bayley of Springfield, Ohio, to provide financial assistance to entering and/or current students at Wittenberg University. It is to be awarded by the Financial Aid Office to students with deserving achievements.
Memorial gifts by his widow, Mrs. Mary Beaver, of Springfield, Ohio, and friends established a scholarship in biology in honor of Dr. William C. Beaver, who taught biology at Wittenberg from 1923 to 1965.
A gift established this scholarship fund in honor of Mr. Karl Begard of Germantown, Ohio.
Established in 1960 through the generosity of Mr. Warren R. Belleman, of Dayton, Ohio, this fund provides one or more scholarships for worthy students majoring in management. An additional fund started in 1969 provides assistance for students from underprivileged families.
This endowment fund was created in 1998 in honor of the family of A. Gilbert Belles '62, of Macomb, Illinois, to provide financial assistance to deserving students.
This fund was established in 1995 in memory of Dr. Jan O. Bender (1909-1994), internationally recognized Lutheran composer and musician, who was a Professor of Music at Wittenberg from 1965-1976. The award recipient, selected by Music Department faculty, is a senior music student whose performance both academically and musically has been outstanding.
Funded with contributions from Dr. Joe H. Bindley, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, the endowment is created to honor students by affording financial assistance to those junior and senior political science majors who exhibit high levels of leadership and scholarship while pursuing courses of study toward law school or to those demonstrating an interest in American politics.
Gifts in 1979 established a fund as a memorial to Mr. Richard C. Bittenbender Sr. '40 of Northbrook, Illinois. It provides scholarships for seniors and juniors majoring in management or economics.
An anonymous gift in 1981 created a fund to provide scholarships for blind students.
ATO-Paul Bloomhardt Prize for Excellence in History
Through a fund established to honor Dr. Paul F. Bloomhardt, professor of history and biography from 1925 until his retirement in 1956, an award is made each year to an outstanding junior majoring in history.
In 1966 a bequest from the estate of Charles D. Booher of Wooster, Ohio, established this fund as a memorial to his father, the Rev. John F. Booher, to provide for ministerial students.
Established by Susan, Duane and David Burnham, this renewable scholarship provides financial assistance to eligible incoming freshmen from rural areas of the Midwest (states not east of Ohio). The recipients are to be U.S. citizens, or lawfully residing in the U.S., who have demonstrated unusual academic achievement, leadership skills and/or community involvement.
Funded through a generous gift in 1997 by Constance Burns, Falls Church, Virginia, in loving memory of her late husband, Dr. Norman Burns, '27, '62H, this fund provides financial assistance to current students at Wittenberg.
Gifts from Mrs. Sara Carpenter, '77H, established this fund to honor the memory of her husband, Victor W. Carpenter, '30, by providing scholarships and/or loans for students at Wittenberg from the greater Middletown, Ohio area. This fund is administered by the Middletown Community Foundation.
Gifts from Mr. Victor W. Carpenter, '30, and Mrs. Sara M. Carpenter, '77H, of Mason, Ohio, have developed this scholarship fund.
This scholarship was established in 1999 by a generous gift from Richard B. Caton, '41, in memory of his brothers, Robert B. Caton, '42, and Donald R. Caton, '50, and in the name of the three Caton brothers, Robert, Donald, and Richard. It is to provide financial assistance to entering or current students at Wittenberg.
Gifts from friends and family of Paul T. Celms, Springfield, Ohio, in 1988 established this fund in his memory to benefit students of guitar with annual awards.
Funded with generous contributions from Mr. and Mrs. Michael H. Chakeres, this endowment provides financial assistance to qualified entering and current Wittenberg students. Preference will be given to juniors or seniors who are majoring in some aspect of the performing arts (theatre, fine arts, music) or business majors interested in pursuing entertainment-related careers. Scholarship recipients will also have an opportunity for an internship with the Chakeres Theatres.
A gift in 1990 by an anonymous donor established this endowment fund for chemistry majors and other deserving students on the basis of both ability and need.
Presented to an outstanding African-American student, the Broadwell Chinn Award was endowed with a generous gift from Dr. George D. and E. Gertrude Holmes Wilson, both descendants of Chinn, who made history at Wittenberg as the first African-American to be admitted.
This fund was established in 1948 by Mr. James R. Clarke, '14, of Columbus, Ohio. It provides an annual income for the aid of worthy students.
Endowment funds for scholarships have been established by the following graduating classes: 1877, 1961, 1980, 1983, and 1984.
Endowment funds for scholarships have been established by the following graduating classes: 1877, 1961, 1980, 1983, and 1984.
Endowment funds for scholarships have been established by the following graduating classes: 1877, 1961, 1980, 1983, and 1984.
The C.L.V.C. presents this grant to a Lutheran student from the Cleveland, Ohio, area enrolled at Wittenberg. Special consideration will be given to deaf students.
An initial gift in 1981 from Commercial Shearing Foundation, Youngstown, Ohio, established a fund which produces income for annual scholarships to students in management, economics, or international studies.
Funded through a generous gift in 1990 from Mrs. William C. Zimmerman, this annual fellowship honors and supports worthy women students who augment their educational experience through employment opportunities on campus. Preference is given to women from single-parent families who wish to work in Thomas Library.
A gift in 1973 from the Corbett Foundation, Youngstown, Ohio, provided the principal for a fund which produces income for scholarships for students of music.
In 1956 an endowment fund was established for the education of underprivileged men for the ministry as a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell G. Crooks.
A gift in 1984 from Mr. Wayne E. Crotty, '35, of Wyoming, Ohio, created a scholarship fund for students willing to pursue independent study or course work on Catholicism. An additional contribution to the fund was made by the Crotty family in honor of Mr. and Mrs. James Olson.
The English Department Creativity Award was renamed the Lester C. Crowl Creativity Award in honor of the Director of Development at Wittenberg from 1965-1972. The $200 award is given to the junior or senior English major who submits the best portfolio of creative work.
Miss Culp, '31, former Wittenberg admission officer, funded this endowment to honor Wittenberg students by affording financial assistance to those juniors and seniors who exhibit the highest levels of enthusiasm, effort, and academic achievement.
Established with funds from the friends and family of Mr. Ralph Davis, this scholarship offers financial assistance to needy students.
The Dominic E. and Alyce G. De Marco Scholarship for Academic Excellence and Distinguished Service to Those Living on the Margins of Society
Established with funds by a generous gift from David Gerard De Marco, S.J., M.D., Peter E. De Marco, Esq., Paul M. De Marco, Esq., and Andrew D. De Marco, M.D., in thanksgiving to God for and in honor of their parents, Dominic E. and Alyce G. De Marco, this endowed scholarship is created to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg University. The student recipient will have a grade point average of at least 3.5 and will have demonstrated-and will continue to demonstrate-a commitment to serving those persons who live on the margins of our society, including the sick, the materially poor, the displaced, the homeless, and the elderly.
Earnings from a fund established in 1971 by Dr. Stanley M. Hanley, '23, and Mrs. Hanley of Honolulu, Hawaii, provide scholarships honoring Dr. C. Joseph DeLor of Columbus, Ohio. The scholarships are awarded to outstanding biology students who have need and who are headed for careers in medicine or biological science.
The endowment was created by a generous gift from Mr. Wallene R. Derby, '34, in memory of his wife, Mrs. Hildred Chester Derby, to provide financial assistance to Wittenberg students.
This award commemorates the long-standing relationship between Judge Glenn E. Detling and Wittenberg University and honors Mrs. Dorothy E. Detling by annually providing financial assistance to students intending to enter the legal or teaching professions. Recipients are male students from Clark County, Ohio, or the Ansonia, Ohio, School District, Darke County.
Gifts by family and friends created this fund in 1980 as a memorial to Dean Heimtraut Dietrich, who served Wittenberg from 1958 to 1980. The income provides scholarships for international students preparing for church work.
This endowed scholarship fund is created to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg by members of Wittenberg University's Board of Directors, administration, faculty, Advancement support staff, and by friends and family of Charles A. Dominick in celebration of his thirty-two years of service to the University and to the Springfield community.
This scholarship was created by James T. Dove, M.D. and Richard Allen Dove to provide a one-half tuition scholarship to a pre-med student and a pre-law student who have junior standing at Wittenberg and a minimum 3.25 grade point average. The scholarship will remain with the recipients for two years if they are eligible.
Funded through a generous gift in 1997 by Mrs. John F. (Barbara) Dreher, New Carlisle, Ohio, this endowment provides financial assistance to senior female science majors at Wittenberg University who are interested in a medical career.
In appreciation for the excellent education which they and their children received at Wittenberg this endowment was established by the Rev. Dr. Edwin L. Ehlers, '51, former president of the New Jersey Synod, Lutheran Church in America, and his wife, Jane Bills Ehlers, '52. The award is for entering students who are members of a Lutheran congregation in New Jersey or are children of ordained Lutheran pastors. The scholarship may be renewed for an additional three years while the student remains in good standing at Wittenberg.
This fund was established in 1984 in memory of Alice Ephraimson-Abt, a 1983 East Asian Studies graduate killed in the crash of Korean Airlines Flight 007. Ms. Ephraimson-Abt's family has designated that income from the memorial fund be used for scholarships for students majoring in East Asian Studies.
Through the fund established to honor Dr. Margaret S. Ermarth, professor of history from 1953 until her retirement in 1974, an annual award is made to an outstanding senior majoring in history.
These scholarships were established to provide tuition assistance for students in the fields of insurance, mathematics, business administration, personnel, and other areas related to the insurance industry.
This award is presented to an outstanding junior or senior majoring in foreign languages and literatures who possesses those qualities exemplified by Professor Fickert during his more than 30 years of service to the university: an understanding of and commitment to the humanistic values fostered by an education in the liberal arts, a lively interest in intellectual endeavor and achievement, and plans for a career that will enrich the lives of others.
Established by the Reverend Harold L. Figley for the purpose of encouraging interest and developing skills in instrumental organ music, this scholarship provides assistance to eligible non-music and music majors, faculty, staff, and members of Springfield area churches.
Funded through a gift by Virginia Ellis Franta, Greenville, Delaware, in 1997, this award provides financial assistance for student or faculty chemistry research.
This endowed scholarship was established by Brian Ballenger '81, Todd Cooperider '81, Michael Greitzer '81, Doug Holthus '82, Mark Phillips '81, and Jeff Spetrino '81, representing family, friends, and Lambda Chi Alpha brothers of Stephen F. Gaier, to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg. The intended purpose of the scholarships is to assist deserving students, giving consideration to Pre-Med majors who have a leadership interest in their Greek organization.
A generous gift from Mr. Orin P. Gard, '31, and his wife, Mrs. Lavurn H. Gard, Pemberville, Ohio, funded this scholarship in 1999 to provide financial assistance to current students at Wittenberg.
Funded with generous contributions from Mr. and Mrs. Lee K. Francis and administered by the Scottish Rite Foundation of Georgia, Inc., this fund gives financial assistance to students who exhibit those qualities consistent with the mission of Wittenberg University.
Funded with generous contributions from Dr. Edwin H. Gaylord, Jr., '24, and in memory of Margaret Ball Gaylord '25, this endowment was created in 1991 to give financial assistance annually to qualified students at Wittenberg.
Created with a gift through the estate of George S. Gelsanliter, this scholarship benefits students nominated by the Galion, Ohio, public school district who have high academic standards and require financial assistance to attend Wittenberg.
Louise M. Gerdon Scholarship
A gift in 1983 and a bequest by Mrs. Louise M. Gerdom of Fort Wayne, Indiana, initiated a fund which provides scholarships for students preparing for full-time church vocations.
Allan R. Gibson Memorial Scholarship
Mr. Nelson C. Gibson and Mrs. Elsie M. Gibson of Buffalo, New York, established in 1964 an endowment as a memorial to their son, Allan R. Gibson, '52. The income is used for financial assistance for students who have indicated full-time service in the church as their lifetime career objective.
The Peggy Albright Ginaven Endowed Scholarship
Created by Georgiana Stearns Albright, '40 in memory of her daughter, Peggy Albright Ginaven, '66 to provide financial assistance to elementary education majors. Preference will be given to students seeking certification as reading specialists.
This award, in honor of Professor Emeritus Paul K. Glasoe, is a stipend to support a chemistry major performing summer research at Wittenberg under the direction of a chemistry faculty member.
The residue of annuities from Charles E., Elsie L., and Irma B. Gobel of Columbus, Ohio provides the principal of a fund for scholarships for worthy students who are graduates of the high school serving the Roseville, Ohio, area. Preference is given to ministerial students.
A gift established this scholarship fund in 1968 in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest R. Godfrey of Columbus, Ohio. It benefits students who have unusually severe need.
A bequest from Mr. John M. Gower of Springfield, Ohio, in 1979 left a fund, which produces income for scholarships.
Mrs. Margaret McClenehan Greenawalt of Springfield, Ohio, left a gift in 1980 for a scholarship fund in memory of her late husband.
The award is given to the junior or senior chemistry student most likely to succeed in chemical research.
Funded with generous contributions from Mr. and Mrs. Edwin M. Griffin, the endowment is created to help students who meet the general requirements for scholarship aid from the University and are willing to pledge repayment of the scholarship if circumstances permit.
The Grimes-Counts Endowed Scholarship Fund
This endowed scholarship was created by Mark F. Grimes '81 to honor his grandparents, Grier and Della Grimes and Forest and Beulah Counts. It is to provide financial assistance for a study-abroad experience of at least one semester to deserving students at Wittenberg. Preference shall be given but not limited to junior or senior level students who have selected a Spanish-speaking study-abroad experience.
A gift in 1983 from Mrs. Emily M. Groff of Springfield, Ohio, created this fund in memory of her husband, J. Robert Groff.
Mrs. Ethel W. Grunder of Troy, Ohio, left resources upon her death in 1975 to establish a scholarship fund in honor of her late husband to provide grants to worthy high school graduates from Troy, Ohio.
The University's established Guidelines and Procedures for Financial Aid shall apply in the selection of the one or more students who receive Eugene and Janet Hedrick Haberman Endowed Scholarships. The intended purpose of the scholarships is to provide need-based assistance to sophomores, juniors or seniors who are making satisfactory progress toward graduation, regardless of GPA.
This fund to promote learning experiences outside the normal curriculum for outstanding Wittenberg physics students was created by Wendell R. '66 and Nancy F. Lutz in honor of Dr. M. Paul Hagelberg, Professor Emeritus of Physics, who was a member of the Physics faculty from 1958 to 1999 and an esteemed colleague of Wendell's father, Dr. Arthur Lutz. Funds can be used for student/faculty research projects, the development of new laboratory experiments or lecture demonstrations, or the attendance at workshops (e.g., at national labs) or conferences.
A generous gift from Mrs. Henrietta Gomez established this fund in loving memory of her brother, Richard C. Hagelberger, who served as Associate Professor of Art from 1969 to 1985. It provides financial assistance to deserving students at Wittenberg. Preference will be given to students seeking a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a concentration in art history and, second, to students seeking a BFA with a concentration in studio art.
An endowment fund established by the Ohio Synod of the Lutheran Church in America provides income to be used for scholarships for members of congregations of the ELCA who are students preparing for the Lutheran ministry.
This endowed scholarship is created by Dr. and Mrs. Heinrich R. Falk to provide financial assistance to deserving students who have demonstrated interest and ability in the Wittenberg University Theatre department. The scholarship is in memory of Ronald T. and Dagmar Hammond. Ronald T. Hammond was professor of theatre at Wittenberg from 1955 to 1965. The University may award one or more scholarships, which may be renewed at the University's discretion. The faculty of the Wittenberg University Theatre Department shall make the final selection.
Gifts received in memory of Dr. Guy S. Harris, '22, of Waterford, Connecticut, provide scholarships to students having superior accomplishments in mathematics and having need of financial assistance.
The Reverend Theodore A. and Virginia B. Hartig Endowed Scholarship Fund provides financial assistance to students at Wittenberg who work as counselors during the summer at Camp MichiLuCa in Fairview, Michigan. The Reverend and Mrs. Hartig were instrumental in establishing the camp. The scholarship may be renewed as long as the student continues to work as a camp counselor during the summers.
An annual award to the senior whose essay is judged best among those submitted by three finalists chosen by the History Department to write a 600-800 word paper on an historical event or figure. In order to become a finalist the student must have at least a 2.7 GPA, have completed at least six history courses and have a keen interest in biographical and narrative history. The award will be approximately $500 and will be awarded at a spring semester History Colloquium.
Established in 1975 by contributions from the family and friends of Dr. H. Russell Hathaway, '24, Lakewood, OH, following his death. Dr. Hathaway served as treasurer of the Alumni Council, a member of the Board of Directors and chair of the campaign to raise funds for the 1958 renovation of Myers Hall. This award is to be restricted to pre-med students.
Established in 1998 by a grant from the William Randolph Hearst Foundation located in New York, New York, this fund provides scholarship assistance to underserved students, with preference given to students who intend to reside in the United States after completing their studies.
The Helsel-Dillahunt Scholarship Fund was established in 1977 by Dr. Joanne Cook, '55, of Lexington, Illinois, to be awarded annually to one or more junior women students majoring in health, fitness, and sports who demonstrate need and show academic promise. The gift honors Miss Ruth Helsel, who taught health and physical education from 1925 to 1967, and Mrs. Betty Dillahunt, '46, who taught health and physical education from 1946 to 1982.
Ten scholarships are provided for deserving students by a fund made available in 1958 through a bequest of Mr. and Mrs. Dimon Herring of Mansfield, Ohio. First preference for these scholarships is given to members of First English Lutheran Church, Mansfield, and second preference to other Mansfield young people.
This scholarship was established by Margit Blochova Heskett, '42, to provide financial assistance to international students at Wittenberg with preference given to students from the eastern European countries of The Czech Republic--The Slovak Republic, Hungary, Austria, Bosnia, Slovenia, Croatia, and Vojvodina part of Serbia.
A gift in 1981 by Dr. and Mrs. Roy M. Hickes of Springfield, Ohio, created a fund to provide scholarships for students in teacher education.
In memory of Dr. Richard Hochdoerfer and Mrs. Hettie Bearce Hochdoerfer, a bequest and annuity by Mr. Lorenz W. Carstensen of La Jolla, California, established a fund to provide scholarships in the fields of modern foreign languages and literature.
This scholarship was established by family and friends to honor the memory of Bart Hillerich, a 1986 alumnus, who died shortly after graduation. Preference will be given to a child of a Lutheran pastor.
This scholarship was established by the Friends on Dave and Carolyn Hobson in recognition of Hobsons' extraordinary service to the 7th Ohio Congressional District, the City of Springfield and Wittenberg University. Scholorships are to assist eligible students from Ohio, with preference given to students who are interested in perusing a career in public service or who are dedicated to serving their communities, and who have been reared by a single parent.
A fund created in 1999 by Mr. Donald P. Hoffman, Farmington, Connecticut, provides financial assistance to deserving students with preference given to students majoring in economics or management.
The Wilson E. Hoge Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in 1972 by his widow, Virginia F. Hoge, and friends to honor Wilson E. Hoge (Wittenberg, '32) who served as Wittenberg's Dean of Admission from 1953 to 1969. The fund was established originally to provide scholarships to worthy Italian students and to perpetuate Mr. Hoge's interest in attracting students from Italy to Wittenberg. The scholarship fund as renamed by Mrs. Wilson E. Hoge in 2005 is to provide merit scholarships to students majoring in history with preference given to students who have demonstrated interest in Western Civilization, Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, or English history.
Funded by Mrs. Adrienne Homrighausen, this endowment exists in appreciation of the ministerial work of her late husband, the Rev. Dr. Tom B. Homrighausen. One or more scholarships will be awarded annually from the fund's income to qualified students.
This scholarship was funded through generous gifts in honor of Robert C. Horn III, by his fraternity brothers of Phi Gamma Delta, his loving wife Judy, her sorority sisters of Kappa Delta, classmates, and close friends to provide financial assistance to Political Science or East Asian Studies majors or students with an interest in Russian Area Studies.
This award was funded through a generous gift by the J. M. McBride family of Lima, Ohio, through the James M. and Ruth E. McBride Charitable Endowment of the Columbus Foundation, to provide financial assistance to qualified students majoring in chemistry for summer research. Preference will be given to international students.
Established in 1999 by Anne and Gerry Hudson to provide an endowment for the Russian Area Studies program, this fund provides an annual award for the outstanding Russian Area Studies student.
Bequests from the estate of Miss H. Maude Hullinger, '23, of Springfield, Ohio, in 1972 created a fund providing scholarships for one or more graduates of Springfield South High School who have matriculated at Wittenberg.
A fund was established in 1984 to assist qualified students from Lutheran churches in the Indiana-Kentucky Synod.
Scholarships for the benefit of management and economics majors from the greater Columbus area are supported by this fund endowed from grants by the Edgar W. Ingram-White Castle Fund of the Columbus Foundation, Columbus, Ohio.
An annuity established by the Rev. C. Raymond Isley '07, of Edinburg, Indiana, left a residuum upon his death in 1966. This fund is invested and the income used to provide scholarships for worthy young people preparing for full-time service in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Created in 2001 by the Jadel family to foster a spirit of philanthropy by encouraging recipients to provide similar scholarship opportunities when, as alumni, they are in a position to do so. This award will be given to qualified first-year students with demonstrated financial need and is renewable for three years to recipients who maintain the specified achievement levels.
This scholarship fund was established in 1943 by friends of E. A. Jensen, business manager at Wittenberg from 1924 until his death in 1943. Graduates from accredited high schools are to be eligible for this scholarship. It will be awarded on the basis of financial need, scholarship, character and promise of future leadership.
This fund was established in 1983 to provide a scholarship for an outstanding student showing special qualities of leadership, in memory of Mrs. Mary Collette Jensen, '38, of Chicago, Illinois.
This scholarship was created by an estate gift from Dr. Mary Ellen Jones, Professor Emerita of English, through the Mary Ellen Jones Trust, to provide financial assistance to deserving students having an interest in American Studies.
Through a fund established to honor the late Dr. Martin E. Johnson, associate professor of geography, an annual award is made to the junior geography major with the highest grade-point average.
Initiated by Jeffrey J. Joyce in honor of his parents, Jon L. and Anne Johnson Joyce, class of 1959, and in celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary, this scholarship assists deserving students from Clark County, Ohio, with preference given first to a member of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church in Springfield, Ohio; then second, to a student from the Clark-Shawnee Local School District in Clark County, Ohio.
A gift in 1985 by Mr. Robert C. Kaitschuk, '56, of Laguna Hills, California, established a fund for political science students, in memory of William J. Kaitschuk, '53, and Professor Melvin Laatsch.
Through this award, the Education Department acknowledges a senior student's demonstration of excellence in the teacher education program and of service to the teaching profession. The award was established in memory of Barbara Steel Kane, a 1978 Wittenberg graduate who majored in elementary education and psychology and who died in an airplane crash in September, 1978.
A bequest by Mr. William Kantola of Bibb County, Georgia, in 1976 created a scholarship fund for "worthy students of high scholastic standing and Christian character" who are members of Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Macon, Georgia, Bethany Lutheran Church, Ashtabula, Ohio, or other Lutheran Churches in Georgia or Ohio.
This endowed scholarship is created by Dr. Joyce L. Wendel in memory of Dr. Thomas A. Kennedy, Jr. to provide financial assistance to Wittenberg students and to support the University's instrumental music program.&
Gifts from the estate of Harold T., '27, and Marjorie Schaefer Kinsey, '28, of Springfield, Ohio, provided an endowment for scholarships.
A bequest in 1996 from the estate of Mrs. Catherine Ziegler Kisor, '30, of Wellston, Ohio, established this scholarship in memory of her husband, Arthur E. Kisor. This award provides financial assistance to Wittenberg students who graduated from Wellston (Ohio) High School.
In 1983 the General Electric Company established this fund with a grant to honor Mr. Jack F. Klapproth, '43, of Cincinnati, Ohio. A student in science or engineering receives this scholarship.
This fund was created by a bequest from the estate of Edith Leming Kleintop Pratt Skinrood '63 in memory of her first husband, Dr. Milton T. Kleintop, Professor of Humanities at Wittenberg during the years of 1955 through 1972. Its intended purpose is to assist deserving juniors and seniors who are majoring in one of the humanities.
An initial gift in 1978 by Mr. David Krauss and other gifts by members of the Krauss family of Springfield, Ohio, established this fund, which provides scholarships for Jewish students with high scholastic achievement and financial need and with demonstrated integrity and good personal qualities.
The estate of Professor Emeritus Daniel T. Krauss of Springfield, Ohio, provided a scholarship fund in memory of his wife, Mrs. Virginia Snyder Krauss, '24.
A gift in 1980 from Margaret Krieg Thomas, as a memorial to her mother, established this fund which provides income used for music scholarships.
This endowed scholarship was created by Mrs. Carolyn Kuhls Taylor to assure that trees and complementary plant life may always be maintained at Wittenberg by providing financial assistance to students who exhibit an interest in appropriate fields of study.
Friends established this fund in 1984 to honor Mr. Richard L. Kuss, '45, and Mrs. Barbara Deer Kuss of Springfield, Ohio. Preference is given to students from Clark County, Ohio.
A generous gift in 1990 from Ralph M. Line established this scholarship in memory of Blanche G. Line for deserving students with superior talent in music or related subjects.
This memorial fund was established and has been supported by John C. Lobach's fraternity brothers and friends to provide emergency financial assistance to students enrolled at Wittenberg University. Beneficiaries will be encouraged to contribute back to the Fund, when they are able, but neither repayment nor interest will be a requirement of the grants in aid. To acknowledge the purpose of the Fund and to encourage future contributions, when able.
Mrs. Agnes B. Samsel, Las Vegas, Nevada, established this scholarship in 1988 to honor the memory of her sister, Josephine John Lowrie, '31, who died in San Juan Capistrano, California, March 27, 1987. This award assists Wittenberg students who are well-rounded and have diverse interests.
This endowed fund is created by John W. and Tina Marr, Kenneth G. and Patricia R. Benne, and students of Virginia Lucas and Claudia Cornett to provide financial assistance for the ongoing professional development of faculty, students, and alumni of the Wittenberg University Department of Education. Fund proceeds will be used to support activities that enhance the Department's ability to access leading edge theorists and practitioners in support of the college's faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, and continuing education needs of alumni.
An annual grant from the Lubrizol Foundation of Wickliffe, Ohio, provides a $500 scholarship to a sophomore, junior, or senior majoring in chemistry.
The residuum of an annuity by Mr. Robert N. Lupfer, '08, of Springfield, Ohio, forms the principal of this scholarship fund.
Sallie Jones Lumadue '47 Memorial Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship was created by a bequest from Sallie Jones Lumadue '47 to provide financial assistance to eligible junior or senior Music majors.
In 1984 the Lutheran Brotherhood, a fraternal benefit society in Minneapolis, Minnesota, established this fund with a challenge grant to increase Wittenberg's endowment for scholarships.
The Lutheran Brotherhood Life Insurance Society of Minneapolis, Minnesota, sponsors scholarships for first-year students of Lutheran faith who have high scholarship records and evidence of religious leadership. These scholarships are renewable. A special application form is available from the Financial Aid Office.
This endowed fund is created by Dr. and Mrs. Wendell R. Lutz in honor of Dr. Lutz' parents, Arthur and Martha Lutz, to provide financial assistance to science students at Wittenberg. The intended purpose of the scholarships is to assist deserving students who are majoring in a science discipline.
Established in 1973 by Dr. Stanley M. Hanley, '23, and Mrs. Mabel Davisson Hanley of Honolulu, Hawaii, to honor Dr. Arthur L. Lutz, Professor of Physics from 1943 to 1975. The annual income is used to assist outstanding physics students who have need.
Ten scholarships ranging in amount from $100 to $400 are provided for Lutheran youth each year by an endowment fund established by Mrs. Lulu Bayhu Lynch of Wheeling, West Virginia, in 1941, as a memorial to her husband. Preference is given to students preparing for the ministry.
The fund is a bequest from Dr. Frank Marlatte, '10, and Mrs. Stella Schneider Marlatte, '11, of Springfield, Ohio. A portion of the bequest is designated for pre-theology students.
This scholarship was established in 1997 by a generous bequest from the estate of longtime Cambridge, Ohio, residents Arthur W. and Kathleen C. Marr. Mr. Marr was an emeritus member of the Wittenberg Board of Directors and Mrs. Marr was an honorary member of the Wittenberg Alumni Association. The income each year is used for the financial assistance of worthy students.
Funded with generous contributions from Drs. Robert and Alice Marshall, the endowment is created to give financial assistance to qualified entering and current students at Wittenberg who exhibit those qualities consistent with its mission.
To honor the outstanding achievements of the Rev. Dr. Robert J. Marshall, '41, during his ten years as president of the Lutheran Church in America and to focus particular attention upon his accomplishments in the field of church-related higher education, Wittenberg University established the Robert J. Marshall Scholarship in 1978. The scholarship provides financial aid up to full tuition to high school graduates who wish to consider ordained or lay service in the ELCA as a full-time career. To be eligible, high school graduates should have displayed outstanding scholastic achievement and exemplary school citizenship while maintaining an active church life.
In 1956 this scholarship was established by Earl H. Marshall, '07, a Phi Psi and a recipient of the Class of 1914 Award who was comptroller at Wittenberg from 1926 to his retirement in 1954, as a memorial to his brother, Elwood Marshall. This fund provides scholarships designated to aid members of the local chapter of Phi Kappa Psi.
This scholarship was created in 2002 by William C., '62 and Sally A. Martin to provide financial assistance each year to one student from Keweenaw or Houghton Counties (Upper Peninsula) and to one student from Washtenaw County Michigan. In the event that the scholarship cannot be awarded to students from these counties, it shall be awarded to any qualified student from the state of Michigan, with preference being given to residents of the Upper Peninsula or the city of Detroit.
The David L. and Elizaeth A. Mason Endowed Fund For Biology was created by Dr. David Mason and Mrs. Elizabeth Mason to provide financial assistance to Wittenberg's Department of Biology and its students. The fund will be used for lab equipment, to fund student/faculty research and internship opportunities, and provide financial assistance to Biology majors with an orientation to the medical arts with preference given to students from Springfield and Clark County, Ohio.
One fund was established with gifts from Mrs. Edith B. and Mr. Frank C. Matthies of Lincolnwood, Illinois, to be used for assistance to worthy students. A second fund is designated for the assistance of worthy ministerial students.
Initiated by the members of the Committee to Honor Dave Maurer, this scholarship recognizes F. Davis Maurer, Professor Emeritus of Health, Fitness and Sports and Wittenberg Tigers football coach from 1969-1983, and provides tuition assistance to sophomore, junior or senior male students.
A bequest from Mrs. Martha H. Mayer created a fund, the income to be used for annual scholarships in memory of Mr. Bruce A. Mayer, '23, of Springfield, Ohio.
Funded with the generous contribution of Mr. Carl H. Lindner, Cincinnati, Ohio, business leader and entrepreneur, this scholarship, established in 1996, honors Judge William A. McClain, a 1934 graduate who was the first African-American to win the state and national Intercollegiate Oratorical Associations' contests. The scholarship goes annually to an African-American student from the greater Cincinnati area with preference given to graduates of Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy.
Created with a bequest from the estate of Mrs. Metzger in memory of her husband, the scholarship provides financial assistance for needy and worthy students committed to preparation for full-time service in the Church.
This scholarship was funded by generous gifts from Howard E. Young, '39 and Paul Stefanik, '31 in memory of Dr. S. C. Michelfelder and Franklin K. Zimmerman to provide financial assistance to students planning a Christian service career. Preference shall be given to students from Slovakia (the native country of Paul Stefanik), from Eastern Europe, and international students. Secondary preference shall be given to Lutheran students and students of other Christian denominations who express an interest in the ministry or Christian service.
This scholarship was funded through a generous gift in 1999 by Naomi Miller Snyder, '41, Apopka, Florida, in loving memory of her father, Pastor Victor N. Miller and her patron at Wittenberg, Mrs. Florence Marsh. The income from the endowed fund will provide financial assistance to entering or current students at Wittenberg.
Funded through a generous gift by Grace Miller Rust, '39, in memory of her parents, Henry and Eliza Swope Miller, to provide financial assistance to students from rural areas in Ohio who are majoring in Education. Preference will be given to students who are Lutheran.
The residuum of annuities and a bequest from Mr. Harris E. Miller, '15, of Springfield, Ohio, in 1976 provide the principal of a scholarship fund to provide scholarships for residents of Clark and Madison Counties.
This endowed scholarship was created by the Wittenberg Board of Directors to provide financial assistance to Wittenberg students in honor of Frederick B. Mitchell.
This endowed scholarship is created by Margie S. Montag '70 and Kenneth G. Montag '70, parents of Melissa Montag, to provide financial assistance for eligible students at Wittenberg who are Theatre majors or underclassmen exhibiting promise in performance arts, as determined by the Theatre Department faculty.
Funded with the residuum of an annuity of Jean, '70H, and Earl F. Morris, '30, this award is for the financial assistance of worthy students who have reached the senior year in their academic preparation at Wittenberg.
An indentured trust was established in 1983 by the Sarah and Pauline Maier Scholarship Foundation, Inc., of Charleston, West Virginia, to provide scholarships for students from West Virginia. The fund honors the late Dr. Earl F. Morris, '30, Chair of the Board of Directors of Wittenberg University 1973-1984.
This endowed scholarship is created by A. Wesley Hoge '37 to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg. Mr. I-loge has established this scholarship to honor Elizabeth Motschman Portz, Wittenberg Class of 1918. Ms. Motschman, a teacher at Mr. Hoge's high school, encouraged him to pursue a college education and arranged for scholarship support, permitting Mr. Hoge to attend Wittenberg.
This fund was established in 1985 by Mrs. James C. Morris to provide a scholarship for a student of management who has demonstrated leadership ability.
A bequest from Frances Rabbits Murray of Washington, D.C., in 1982 produced a scholarship fund.
This endowed award, given to an outstanding geology major pursuing geologic research, recognizes and honors the diverse contributions of this department's founder.
This endowed scholarship is created by the Nelson Family in honor of Andrew Nelson '96 to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg.
The award was funded through a generous gift by Dr. Waldo E. Nelson to provide financial assistance to qualified students majoring in Biology for summer research. Preference will be given to those students interested in a career in clinical medicine and/or biomedical research.
A gift from the family and friends of Ralph E. "Tom" Ness established this scholarship in his memory for students who are members of Trinity Lutheran Church, Lakewood, Ohio. Guidelines
Funded in 1991 with the generous contributions from Mrs. Ruth Turkheim Neve, '35, of Thousand Oaks Village, California, this endowment is created to honor the Neve family's commitment to education by giving financial assistance to qualified students at Wittenberg. Priority shall be given to students who are children of the clergy.
A fund originated with gifts in memory of Dean Wendell C. Nystrom, who served the University from 1937 to 1961, has been augmented with additional contributions in his honor and a major bequest in 1985 from his widow, Mrs. Persis.
This endowed scholarship, funded in 1994 with the generous contributions from Mrs. Jean Olson, New York, New York, and other family members, assists entering and current students who major in management or economics, subjects taught at Wittenberg by Mr. Olson, who was also a member of the Board of Directors.
The four John W. Ostrom Awards, worth $200 each, are given annually for improvement and excellence in expository writing to first-year, sophomore, junior, and senior students. John W. Ostrom, a late professor emeritus, was internationally known for his edition of the letters of Edgar Allan Poe and his widely adopted Better Paragraphs and Short Themes.
Funded through a generous gift in loving memory of Richard W. Parker, '31, by his wife, Sara Derrickson Parker, '32, of Springfield, Ohio, this endowment provides financial assistance to entering and/or current students at Wittenberg.
Through a bequest from Mr. Charles C. Patterson, a graduate of the Class of 1884, a scholarship fund was established, the income to be used in aiding deserving and promising students graduating from a Springfield public high school.
This endowed scholarship is created by Thales and Nancy Pavlatos to provide financial assistance to Clark County, Ohio students pursuing a career path in the medical field, including but not limited to pre-med or nursing fields of study.
A bequest from the estate of Mr. John M. Pavlik of Dayton, Ohio, in 1973 established a fund providing scholarships in the area of music training.
Mrs. Petticrew, Springfield, Ohio, an honorary alumna, established this scholarship in 1996 to honor the memory of her late husband and to assist Wittenberg students who are residents of Clark or Greene counties. Preference is given to those majoring in the natural sciences, mathematics, management, or pre-medical studies.
The Professional Golfer's Association (PGA) and the Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce established the PGA Scholarship Fund with a grant to the Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education. The recipients must be full-time, direct from a southwestern Ohio high school and have a 3.0 or better cumulative grade point average and be eligible for financial aid.
Gifts and bequests from Mr. Fred B. Pletcher, '14, and Mrs. Alma Pletcher of Georgetown, Illinois, have established a scholarship fund.
The family of Marie O. Pope established this scholarship fund in 1998 to perpetuate her commitment to service to the handicapped. Recipients will be special education majors pursuing licensure in Special Education, who are active in increasing awareness of disability issues and service activities benefiting disabled individuals.
This endowed scholarship was created by Elizabeth A. and William T. Hunter in the memory of William H. Porter, Jr., Wittenberg's first full-time director of financial aid, to provide a "last-dollar," need-based scholarship to a first-year student(s) who requires additional financial assistance in order to make Wittenberg an affordable decision.
Funded through a generous gift by the Walter S. Quinlan Foundation in memory of Walter S. and Helen Ryan Quinlan, this scholarship fund provides financial assistance to current, deserving students.
Funded with generous contributions from the Radabaugh family, this scholarship was established to honor Pastor Joseph and Mrs. Virginia Radabaugh and to perpetuate their commitment of higher education by offering financial assistance to qualified students dedicated to the study of music.
This endowed scholarship is created by Patdcia Campbell Reath '63 in honor of her 50th Class Reunion to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg.
Gifts through annuity and bequests from Dr. W. Emerson Reck, '26, and Mrs. Hazel W. Reck of Springfield, Ohio, created this fund. The income is used annually to assist students of demonstrated scholarship, leadership, character, and need who are majoring in English or history.
Funded through generous contributions from John E. Harkins and Elizabeth Remsberg Harkins in 1991, this endowment honors Mildred and Robert Remsberg, '31, and assists juniors or seniors who have shown outstanding scholarship in philosophy and whose career pursuit is the ministry in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
A bequest in 1984 from the estate of Mrs. Marion Lewis Renick, '26, of Columbus, Ohio, provides scholarship funds for worthy students.
This scholarship was established in loving memory of the Reverend Paul J. Renz, D. D., '33, '36S, and The Reverend Willard M. Hackenberg, D. D., '01, '04S, '23H, by their family, to provide financial assistance to Wittenberg students.
A fund created by Judge Charles F. and Mrs. Clara Lane Ribble of Zanesville, Ohio, provides assistance for deserving students with first preference to members of St. John Lutheran Church in Zanesville, Ohio.
This fund was created by Kathryn Sanders Rieder '34 to provide financial assistance to students at Wittenberg, with preference given to majors in Music or Education.
Scholarships are awarded each year from the income of a fund established by Miss Flora Robertson, '06, of Springfield, Ohio, in 1952.
Scholarships are provided from the income produced by an endowment established in 1983 by an initial grant from the Davenport-Hatch Foundation of Rochester, New York. Recipients are selected by a cooperative effort with the Rochester Alumni Scholarship Committee.
Contributions from the Rockwell International Corporation Trust established an endowment to provide scholarships for students in management, economics, or the sciences.
This fund was established in 1995 to honor the lives of Martha and Don Rodgers and to award financial assistance annually to one or more qualified students from the Springfield, Ohio, area.
Funded by the Dayton Exchange Club Foundation, this scholarship supports students pursuing education degrees. The scholarship was created in memory of Mr. Ruppert, '74.
In memory of her parents, Mrs. Nellie Ruthrauff Nicholson, '03, of Daphne, Alabama, established a fund in 1966 to furnish scholarships for senior male scholars who are working their way through school. Dr. Ruthrauff was president of Wittenberg from 1900 to 1902.
In 1984 a gift from the Rev. Ernst G. and Jane Schmidt of Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, endowed a scholarship fund, the earnings to provide scholarships for students preparing for full-time Christian service.
Established in 1986 through the generosity of Mrs. Anna Schofer-Bright and her husband, James, this fund honors the J. A. Schofer family by providing financial assistance with preference given to those students with an interest in the ministry.
A bequest from the estate of Clara Schroth of Cincinnati, Ohio, established a fund in 1969 to assist worthy students.
Funded through generous contributions from the family and friends of Adelia Stuckey Schwiebert, the endowment is created to give lasting tribute to her memory and to perpetuate her belief in the value of exposing students to the people and culture of other lands. A 1932 graduate of Wittenberg and a teacher for 35 years, Mrs. Schwiebert was the first of three generations to attend the University.
This scholarship was established by friends and relatives of Ms. Scott, who graduated in 1982 and passed away later in the same year. The recipient must be a sophomore or junior African-American woman with a GPA of 2.3. She must demonstrate a concern for public service as evidenced through her campus and/or community involvement and leadership. Students, faculty, and staff are invited to make nominations. The recipient shall be chosen by a committee.
Scholarships are awarded annually through an endowment established in 1945 by Dr. Stanley M. Hanley, '23, and Mrs. Mabel Davisson Hanley of Honolulu, Hawaii, in honor of Dr. Charles G. Shatzer, 1900, longtime Dean and Professor of Geology at Wittenberg.
Income from a trust established in 1969 by the Misses Venette and Mabel Sites of San Diego, California, produces approximately $600 per year for one or more scholarships.
This award was established by Lanty L. and Margaret C. Smith, Greensboro, North Carolina, to honor Ellen Ruth Newell Smith and Lloyd Heaston Smith, parents of Lanty L. Smith, '64, Ruth Smith Bolster, '66, and Ernest C. Smith, '68, to provide full tuition "Smith Scholarships" to recipients who exhibit excellence in academics, strong leadership potential, initiative, a willingness to work hard, good moral character and high personal integrity. Their accomplishments and attitudes shall reflect clear promise that they will provide leadership within the Wittenberg community, both as students and as graduates of the university, and within the broader society. Preference shall be given to those who otherwise would be financially unable to attend the university, have a sincere academic interest in the liberal arts and mathematics or the physical sciences.
The Springfield Lions Club, with an annual gift, sponsors a scholarship fund for blind students who need financial aid.
The Christine Spooner ’93 Memorial Scholarship Fund
Created by family and friends, this endowed scholarship honors the memory of alumna Christine Spooner ’93. The fund supports students with demonstrated financial need from the United Kingdom or from Virginia, Maryland or the District of Columbia who hold a high school GPA of 3.5 or greater. If no such student exists in a given year, the scholarship shall be awarded to any student from those areas.
This fund subscribed by the congregation provides an annual scholarship for a student selected in cooperation with the pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church, Dayton, Ohio.
Funded in 1992 through contributions from parents and friends of the late Troy Stallard '92, the endowment gives lasting tribute to Troy's memory by assisting students majoring in Philosophy.
Established by the Stauffer family, this endowed fund supports the sciences at Wittenberg in honor of John Stauffer, the ninth president of the University. The award will recognize upperclass students who plan to pursue a career in medicine, research, or teaching.
The annual income from this fund, established in 1998 by a bequest from the estate of Miss M. Louise Steele, '40, Springfield, Ohio, is to be used to provide non-athletic, academic scholarships for needy Christian students.
This fund, established in 1972 by Dr. Stanley M. Hanley, '23, and Mrs. Mabel Davisson Hanley of Honolulu, Hawaii, honors the service and devotion of Dr. Clarence C. Stoughton, Wittenberg President from 1949 to 1963, and Mrs. Stoughton.
This award was established by the children of Margaret Fry Strandjord, '39, to assist deserving students majoring in English or History, or who are planning to pursue careers as educators.
Established in 1981 by his widow, Mrs. Hazel K. Crawford of Columbus, Ohio, this fund aids worthy Lutheran students with financial need. It honors the Rev. Grover C. Strubel, Wittenberg Academy, '11, Wittenberg College, '15, and Hamma, '18.
The annual income from this fund, established in 1998 by a bequest from the estate of Mrs. Thelma Watts Sutton, Springfield, Ohio, is to be used to assist students from Clark County, Ohio.
This scholarship was created to honor the outstanding teaching and service of Dr. Eugene R. Swanger, Professor Emeritus of Religion and East Asian Studies. The award recipient is to be an East Asian Studies or Religion major who demonstrates high academic achievement and shows promise as an Asian scholar. If the recipient is a Religion major, he/she must have taken at least one year of Chinese or Japanese language in addition to other courses on East Asia. The recipient will be selected during his/her sophomore year, with the award used for the student's junior year only.
An annual scholarship of $500 was established by Mrs. Martha Frye Nye in memory of her daughter, Barbara Terry, '71. The scholarship is awarded to one or several students enrolled in the Department of Music and may be renewable.
The Rev. Dr. Carl E. Thomas Family Scholarship Endowment Fund is established at Wittenberg University as an offering of praise, prayer, and thanksgiving to God for the grace and assurance given us in Jesus Christ and to strengthen the mission and social service ministry of the church. Carl Thomas graduated from Wittenberg University in 1952. His alma mater recognized his leadership in the social services ministries of the church by awarding him an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in 1968. His seminary (Hamma Divinity School, now Trinity Lutheran Seminary), class of 1955, noted his exemplary ministry with the S.C. Michelfelder Award in 1992. Carl began his career as Assistant Pastor of Fifth Lutheran Church in Springfield, Ohio while also serving as Director of the Casework Department of Oesterlen Services for Youth. From there he was called to New York City to join the staff of the Board of Social Ministry of the Lutheran Church in America. He later became its Executive Secretary.
This scholarship was funded by a generous bequest from Edith C. Thompson in memory of her husband, Ralston C. Thompson. Professor Thompson was a distinguished artist and chair of the art department, where he taught from 1941 to 1969. This endowed scholarship fund provides scholarships to students with demonstrated interest and competence in an area of visual arts (painting, drawing, sculpture, or ceramics) and financial need. Selection will be made by the Director of Financial Aid and the Chair of the Art Department. This scholarship is renewable.
The Outreach Committee of Trinity Lutheran Church, Ashland, Ohio, made contributions in 1982 to establish a scholarship fund for students at Wittenberg from that congregation.
Pamela Torraco, M.S.W., a practicing psychotherapist and a graduate of Wittenberg University, class of 1965, has been a loyal patron of the University for decades. To celebrate her continued commitment to the University and to psychotherapy as a profession, Ms. Torraco wishes to join existing efforts to retain the most gifted students at Wittenberg University by offering them partial tuition scholarships. The scholarship fund will aid in recruiting students to the University by recognizing integrity of character, high academic achievements, sensitivity, and compassion.
Established by Gerhart and Mary Hunter as part of an effort mounted to create endowed sources of funds to benefit students pursuing Geology and geological career paths, this Fund shall create one such endowed opportunity for students.
Established by Bertand A. Trompeter '50, this scolarship provides financial assistance to eligible students who have high academic achievement, with preference given to students from Kentucky.
This scholarship was created by David W. Alexander to honor the memory of his grandfather, The Reverend Dr. Rees Edgar Tulloss, seventh president of Wittenberg University (1920-1949), and his mother Alice Tulloss-Alexander, the daughter of Dr. Tulloss. Deserving recipients must have graduated from any Clark County, Ohio, high school, have junior standing at Wittenberg, and intend to pursue a career in the ministry or the practice of law upon graduation from Wiâ€‹ttenberg and a seminary or law school.
Created through the generosity of William and Isabel Comstock from Youngstown, Ohio, this endowed scholarship honors the memories of Dr. R. E. Tulloss, past President of Wittenberg, and Mr. W. A. Walls, past Superintendent of Kent, Ohio, schools, both of whom enabled Mr. Comstock to become a Wittenberg graduate. As a result of their good work, Comstock, born with cerebral palsy, became a successful educator and businessman.
Generous gifts in loving memory of David E. Ullery, '56, by his wife, Beth; children, Stephen and Melynda Ullery and Susan, '84, and Tracy Patterson; close friends, Bill and Jan Haueisen; friends and members of All Saints Evangelical Lutheran Church established this fund to provide financial assistance to entering and/or current students. Preference will be given to members of All Saints Evangelical Lutheran Church, Worthington, Ohio; students from Brookville, Ohio; or students planning to attend theological school to prepare for a career in the ministry.
An initial contribution in 1982 by C. Thomas Ultes, '68, of Springfield, Ohio, established this endowment for scholarships for residents of Clark County, Ohio, who meet the special preferences designated.
Funded with contributions from Mr. Wahl, '38, in gratitude for the contribution that education had made to their lives, the endowment gives financial assistance to qualified entering and current students.
This scholarship was funded through generous gifts by The Rev. Dr. Herbert W. Veler, '29, '32 (Hamma Divinity School), '59H, Mildred Bitter Veler, '29, Suzanne Mallott Veler, '78, and Richard P. Veler, '58, to provide financial assistance to Wittenberg students. Preference will be given to children of Ohio Lutheran pastors or layworkers who are concentrating in English, biology, or psychology.
This scholarship was created by Kay Emma Wagner, '71, to provide financial assistance to female students at Wittenberg who are interested in a career in science or medicine.
Gifts from the Waller family and friends established this fund in 1986 to provide scholarships in honor of William J. Waller, '89. Students from any major and academic year may be recipients.
Funded through a generous gift by Martha Durham Schweitz and Henry and Jo Law Durham in loving memory of Dixie E. Ware, '88, to provide financial assistance to female students preferably affiliated with a sorority and majoring in East Asian Studies then Chemistry. Recipients shall be deserving students who care for and respect Wittenberg University and all it has to offer.
This endowment was funded through a generous gift in loving memory of S. Paul Weaver by his wife Clara M. Weaver, Columbus, Ohio, to provide financial assistance to sophomores, juniors, or seniors who are either art majors or education majors with a desire to teach art.
Gifts beginning in 1975 from Mr. Charles D. Weller, '70, of Stamford, Connecticut, established this fund to help meet the financial need of deserving students with exceptional academic qualifications. The donor asks that the recipients accept a moral obligation to support Wittenberg financially in future years and, particularly, to add to the scholarship fund for the benefit of future generations of students.
This endowed fund is created by Charles Martin Witthoft Jr. (1950) and Suzanne Kohn Witthoft (1949) in memory of The Reverend Charles Martin Witthoft Sr. and Florence Zula Shafer Witthoft and in recognition of their five children who graduated from Wittenberg University â€“ Herman (1949), Charles (1950), Martha (1951), Doris (1952), Florence (1957) â€“ to provide financial assistance to qualified students at Wittenberg.
A gift from Mrs. Ada I. Wilcox of Prospect, Ohio, established this endowment in 1976 in memory of her son, Mr. Robert Issler Wilcox, '39. The income is used to provide scholarships to qualified students.
A contribution in 1982 from the Leon A. Beeghly fund in Youngstown, Ohio, established this fund to aid music majors studying piano. Additional gifts have increased the fund.
The widow and children of Dr. Woodrow Wilson, professor emeritus of business administration, created this honor in 1994 to give annual financial awards to student(s) who major and excel in management. The selected student(s) receive a cash prize.
A gift in 1979 from the Anheuser-Busch Charitable Trust established a fund in memory of Mr. John L. Wilson of St. Louis, Missouri. It provides annual scholarships for students of management and economics.
This endowed scholarship was created in 2008 with a gift from David G. Wise to provide financial assistance for students who are graduates of Perrysburg High School, Perrysburg, Ohio.
In 1974, the Wittenberg Guild established an endowed fund to provide scholarships annually to outstanding students majoring in fine arts who have need. A second endowed Wittenberg Scholarship Fund was established in 1983 for a qualified student from Clark County. A third fund was established in 1992 for students from Clark and surrounding Counties.
This scholarship was funded through a generous gift from the living trust of The Reverend Dr. Louis and Mrs. Mary Wolf in their memories to provide financial assistance to deserving current Wittenberg students.
This endowed scholarship is created by Robin Ann Getter Worman to provide financial assistance to deserving students with preference given to a Lutheran pastor's child or grandchild.
This scholarship was established in loving memory of Emerita Board Member Ruth Hartzell Wray, '37, by her daughter, Cathy Wray Shepherd, '66, to assist deserving female upperclass students who are demonstrating personal leadership development through involvement in the Wittenberg campus and/or greater Springfield communities. In the event qualified female students are not identified, male students may receive consideration.
Funded with generous contributions from Ms. Victoria York, '70, and other members of the immediate family, this endowment assists first-generation students pursuing history degrees. Established in 1995, it honors the memory of Ms. York's mother, Pauline Clower York.
This scholarship was established in 1996 with a bequest from the estate of Mrs. Helen Duersch Zerfass, '32, Hamilton,
This endowed scholarship is created by John C. Zimmermann, in memory of his mother, Catherine Lois Simon Zimmermann, Class of 1927, to provide financial assistance to deserving Wittenberg students.
This scholarship was established for the purpose of assisting worthy students who have financial need, a first preference being given to members of this congregation.
A generous gift from the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, Sandusky, Ohio, created this scholarship to provide financial assistance to students of the congregation, students from the Sandusky, Ohio area, or other deserving students.
A gift in 1985 by the Rev. and Mrs. Gerald Keller of Wadsworth, Ohio, established this fund in honor of Mrs. Keller's parents.
This endowed scholarship was created in 2003 by John F. Gale '50 to Provide financial assistant for students who are graduates of a Springfield, Ohio, high school and who are involved in music programs at Wittenberg. The scholarship is in honor and memory of his wife, Mary Louise Beier Gale.
This scholarship was funded by a generous gift of Geraldine Koppenhaver in memory of Dr. Allen J. Koppenhaver, professor of English at Wittenberg University from 1961 to 1990, to provide financial assistance to deserving students of junior standing who demonstrate a love of learning and interest in literature, music, writing, and art. Koppenhaver scholars will be nominated by the English Department, with the scholarship being available to the student during the junior and senior year.
This Fund was established in 2002 in memory and in honor of members of the Portz family who have attended Wittenberg. Recipients are juniors or seniors with preference given to those who are Pre-Engineering majors or majoring in Mathematics or Physics. Further preference may be given to a member of the Sigma Chapter of the Fraternity of the Phi Gamma Delta.
A Gift in 1980 from the estate of Solomon L. Swingle, alumnus from the class of 1930 and former Wittenberg University Board member, initially established the Swingle Family Scholarship. Supported by members of the Swingle Family, the scholarship is Awarded to one or more deserving students each year.
This fund was initiated in 2003 with a generous donation from Eunice Limmer Thom '40 to provide scholarships to assist one or more deserving students who have demonstrated a desire to come to Wittenberg but might otherwise not be able to afford it.
Created in celebration of his thirty-two years of service to Wittenberg University and the Springfield community, the Charles A. Dominick Endowed Scholarship Fund provides assistance to deserving students, giving consideration to history majors who have demonstrated leadership on campus and in service to the community.
Established in 1991 with a generous gift from Frances Stanbarger Shutt '29, this endowment provides for one or more renewable scholarships each year.
This endowed scholarship was created in memory and honor of The Reverend John W. Rilling '27 and Mary Catherine Rilling '29 to assist deserving students who have demonstrated high academic achievement.
Created by the children of Elizabeth Woodhouse to honor her life-long commitment to learning and education, this scholarship assists deserving students who have demonstrated leadership skills and are accomplished in one or more of the following: language, literature, history, philosophy, art, and music.
Established by Lyne and Lucinda Fox Carter and C. Fred and Jacqueline Fox in memory of Lucinda and Fred's mother, Geneva Demarest Fox, this fund provides scholarship assistance to students majoring in Education or Music, with preference given to Education majors.