General Resources for Education Research
Fall Semester 2017
Educational Philosophies - Overview
- ARTICLE: We are what we teach by Tom Hoffman
- The article examines the basic philosophies of education. The main historical philosophies of education are: essentialism, perennialism, progressivism, social reconstruction, existentialism, and constructivisim. The current buzz word in education today is meta-cognition. It means that people have knowledge of their thinking processes and strategies.
- BOOK: Philosophical and ideological perspectives on education by Gerald L. Gutek
Library of Congress Classifications (a selected list)
L Education (general) LA History of Education LB Theory and Practice of Education LC Special aspects of Education
Locating Books in Library Catalogs
At Wittenberg: EZRA At other Ohio Libraries OhioLINK Catalog In North America For ILL WorldCat
Encyclopedia of Education, 8 vols. Ref. LB15 .E47 2003
Encyclopedia of Educational Research, 4 vols (Ref and Main) LB15 .E48 1992
The Routledge International Encyclopedia of Education Ref. LB15 .R633 2008
Encyclopedia of American Education, 3 vols. Ref. LB17 .U54 2001
World Education Encyclopedia, 3 vols. Ref. LB15 .W87 2001
Indexes to periodicals for Education Research
Education Research Complete A bibliographic and full text database covering scholarly research and information relating to all areas of education Education Full Text
(Jun 1983- )
English-language periodicals and yearbooks published in the U.S. and elsewhere. Subjects include administration, teaching methods and curriculum, literacy, government funding, and more. ERIC (1966-Present) ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center) indexes education-related research from 1966 to present that appears in ERIC documents and in more than 775 periodicals. It combines information from Resources in Education (RIE) and the Current Index to Journals in Education (CIJE)
Other useful indexes and databases
Index to journal articles on a wide range of academic and non-academic topics. Academic Search Complete Indexes about 2000 periodicals -- both scholarly journals and popular magazines; covers 1986-Present, with some fulltext coverage starting in the early 1990s. PsycINFO Index to articles in Psychology.
- At Wittenberg:
- See our online list of Journals the Library Has
- At other Ohio academic libraries:
- OhioLINK Central Catalog (Note: you generally cannot get periodicals through OhioLINK); use Inter-Library Loan to get articles not held at Wittenberg.
Compiled by Ken Irwin firstname.lastname@example.org.