Selected Resources for English 190: Afro-Caribbean Literature
Spring Semester 2003
Library of Congress Subject Headings
||20th ed., 4 vols., 1997.
Kept on the long table by the main bank of EZRA/Web terminals.
Subject headings will be similar to, but may be different from those used in periodical indexes.
Library of Congress Classifications (a selected list)
PN General literature PR English literature PS American literature
Locating Books in Library Catalogs
- Caribbean women writers. Philadelphia : Chelsea House, 1997. (Main Stacks) PR9205.05 .C37 1997.
- Encyclopedia of Post-Colonial Literatures in English. New York : Routledge, 1994.
- Literature Resource Center
- Provides access to biographies, bibliographies, and critical analyses of authors from every age and literary discipline.
- Literary Biography
- Caribbean Writers: a Bio-Bibliographical-Critical Encyclopedia. Washington, D.C.: Three Continents Press, 1979. Ref. PN 849 .C3 C3 1979.
- Contemporary Authors. Detroit: Gale, 1962- . Semi-annual. Ref. Z 1224 .C6
- This continuing set now has over 270 volumes. CA aims to include all nontechnical writers in all genres--fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, etc.--whose works have been written in or translated into English. Includes authors deceased after 1900 who remain of interest to today's readers.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1982- . Ref. PN 5001 .D5
Especially vols. 117, 125, 157: Twentieth Century Caribbean and Black African Writers (1st, 2nd, 3rd series).
- DLB is a "cousin" to CA (above). Also a very large and growing set (over 200 volumes so far), it includes fewer people but gives extensive information on them. The latest volume has a cumulative index to the whole set.
Indexes to periodicals for English Literature Research
|Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature(ABELL)||Indexes monographs, periodical articles, critical editions of literary works, book reviews, collections of essays and doctoral dissertations about English language and literature published anywhere in the world from 1920-1997.|
(1963- ) (Remote Access)
|Literature, languages, linguistics, and folklore from over journals and series published worldwide.|
Other useful indexes and databases
|Covers academic journals in Humanities, Sciences and Social Science indexes. Because it is part of our online catalog, the article records will tell you if we own the journal in which the article appears. (Telnet access: Connect to EZRA, login as "library" and select option "D")|
|Contemporary Women's Issues||This is largely a social-science databases, but covers some literature, especially as it relates to society. Includes some fulltext.|
|Academic Search Complete||Indexes about 2000 periodicals -- both scholarly journals and popular magazines; covers 1986-Present, with some fulltext coverage starting in the early 1990s.|
- At Wittenberg:
- EZRA, the library catalog: Web EZRA | Telnet to Ezra
- See our online list of Journals the Library Has
- Periodicals Holdings List (PHiL) (blue folders on index tables in Reference, and also on tables on first floor)
- At other Ohio academic libraries:
- OhioLINK Central Catalog (Note: you cannot get periodicals through OhioLINK)
Useful Literary Web Sites
- Online Literary Criticism Collection (Internet Public Library)
- The IPL Online Literary Criticism Collection over 2500 critical and biographical websites about authors and their works that can be browsed by author, by title, or by nationality and literary period. Includes a Guide to finding other online criticism.
- Literary Resources on the Web
- A searchable and comprehensive guide to author information with some critical works included.
Compiled by Ken Irwin, firstname.lastname@example.org.