Certified by the American Chemical Society for more than 50 years, our program produces graduates known by businesses and graduate schools to have excellent preparation.
To complement this strong technical background, students also hone their written and verbal communication skills by writing lab reports, discussing problem-solving in class, and making formal presentations in the Junior and Senior Seminars. Working with classmates in the lab, students gain teamwork skills that are essential to working in successful organizations. Our lab safety training across the curriculum will prepare you for future lab work in research labs or industry.
One of the strengths of our chemistry program is the partnerships you will build with the faculty members. Unlike large, impersonal introductory courses at many colleges and universities, the chemistry classes at Wittenberg have a maximum enrollment of 32, and upper-level courses usually range from five to 10 students. Small classes and labs make certain that you get individualized attention and ensure your success in chemistry.
Video created and edited by Madeline Geiger '16, with help from Marley Tullis, Stephanie Glass and Evelyn Ritzi.
Chemistry in the News:
- Commitment to Student Success: Wittenberg Chemistry Professor Furthers Student Success Through Active Learning (published February 25, 2020)
- Michelle Peace '91: Chemistry Leads to a Career in Forensic Science and Commitment to Legislative Change (published October 8, 2019)
- Forensic Science Program Announced: Wittenberg University Announces New Partnership with Bowling Green State University's Forensic Science Program (published May 30, 2018)
- PEO Honors Alumna: Nicole Perry ’14 Receives $15,000 Scholar Award (published August 31, 2017)
- Ryan Spray '04: Tackling Two Kinds of Chemistry (published June 2, 2017)
- Among the Elite: Lydia Kisley was Recently Named to the 2017 Forbes 30 Under 30 List (published January 27, 2017)
- Single-Step Mechanism: Student Presents Research at National Chemistry Workshop (published March 2, 2016)
- Green Chemistry Expert: Wittenberg Series Welcomes John Warner For IBM Endowed Lecture in the Sciences (published February 16, 2016)
- Best In Class: Chemistry Major Earns Prestigious Scholarship at National Conference (March 31, 2015)
- James Manner Award: Wittenberg Student Honored At Pittsburgh Conference On Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy (published March 31, 2015)