Wittenberg University currently offers both a BS and a BA in exercise science, which provides a multi-disciplinary approach to the science of health and sport performance within a liberal arts curriculum.
Exercise science at Wittenberg provides students with academic preparation and practical training that are required to be successful in various careers in the growing field of exercise science.
Exercise science deals with the study of acute and chronic effects of physical activity on the human body, focusing on how and why the body responds to a range of stimuli in a non-resting state. Wittenberg's program includes courses in gross human anatomy, human physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, and exercise testing and prescription. In Wittenberg's program, students whose interests vary from nutrition to biomechanics to strength and conditioning find the flexibility to choose courses and internships/research that match their personal interests with their academic and professional goals.
Through close interaction with faculty and staff across campus, from biology to sport management to athletics to the humanities, as well as hands-on internship experience with local professionals, Wittenberg's program allows students to gain practical and theoretical knowledge in the context of a liberal arts education.
Additionally, students have the opportunity to be involved in research with faculty and other undergraduate students. Previous students’ research projects have ranged from caffeine supplementation on strength performance to long-term effects of COVID-19 on cardiovascular function. Students not only get to lead the research project but also have the ability to present their research at regional and national conferences.
Upon graduation, students in the department are prepared for entry into various areas of exercise science including:
- Professional programs: medical school, physician assistant, physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, nutrition
- Chiropractic programs
- Clinical exercise physiology
- Strength and conditioning
- Personal training
- Health and wellness
- Graduate programs in any area of exercise science: exercise physiology, biomechanics, motor learning, anatomy, etc.
Exercise Science in the News:
- Exercise Science Program Expands: Wittenberg University’s Growing Program Welcomes New Professor (published November 5, 2019)
- A New Major Hits Campus: Wittenberg University Announces Exercise Science Program Approval (published November 9, 2015)