Wittenberg's religion program will introduce you to the depth and richness of religious texts, spiritual practices, and moral and cultural values found in major religious traditions.
The study of religion teaches the foundational liberal arts skills of reading, interpretation, analysis, critical thinking, writing and speaking that are essential in any career.
Many of our students are drawn to religious studies simply because they are interested in the religious dimensions of human experience, past or present. Others choose to major or minor in the department as a foundation for further religious studies in seminary or graduate school.
Learn more about the academic study of religion and what you can do with a religious studies major at www.studyreligion.org, a resource sponsored by the American Academy of Religion.
Religion in the News:
- Advancing Religion Research: Professor Earns Trio Of Grants And Awards in First Year of Teaching (published June 30, 2020)
- What Is Fake News? Innovative Wittenberg Religion Class Shows Students That Deception In Media Is An Age-Old Dilemma (published May 28, 2020)
- Megan Mong '19: Wittenberg’s Strong Partnership with ELCA’s Young Adults in Global Mission Continues With Megan Mong (published August 14, 2019)
- Serving the World: Wittenberg Explores Global Humanitarian Crises with Sought-After Speaker Bishop Munib Younan (published March 8, 2018)
- Answering the Call: Dan Jacob, Class of 2010, Leads Campus Ministry Efforts (published January 18, 2018)
- A Trip Through Time: Reformation Resources and Artifacts Can Be Seen at Thomas Library (published November 12, 2017)
- Answering the Call: Wittenberg Alumni Serve with ELCA’s Young Adults in Global Mission Program (published October 12, 2017)
- For the 500th: Wittenberg University to Host Several Events to Commemorate 500th Anniversary of the Reformation (published October 6, 2017)
- Celebrating Service: Annual Mission-Driven Event Inspires for 16 Years (published April 26, 2017)
- Bridging Passion and Faith: NetVUE Grant Will Help Students Discover Their Purpose (published March 7, 2016)
- Distinguished Lecturer: Wittenberg Series Continues with Kenneth H. Sauer Luther Symposium (published September 29, 2016)