Should an emergency occur, you may need to take immediate action. Follow the guidelines below.
Shelter in Place
Emergency notifications are sent via the mass notification system, Tiger Safe, which can deliver both text and email messages to University-owned and personal devices.
- Go indoors.
- Close and lock all doors.
- Close drapes and stay away from windows and exterior doors.
- Turn off all lights.
- Turn off all air conditioners and exhaust fans.
- Turn off audio equipment.
- Turn cell phone to vibrate.
- Do not pull fire alarm as that would start evacuation process, which could put campus community members at risk.
- Try to remain as calm as possible.
- Remain in protected areas until receipt of an “ALL CLEAR” Campus message indicates the danger has passed.
Evacuation of Building(s)
In the event of an evacuation from a building or work area, an evacuation alarm will sound or campus police will notify the affected parties. Please follow these guidelines.
- Head to nearest designated exit immediately.
- Instruct others to do the same and support those needing extra assistance.
- Do not rush or panic.
- Avoid using any elevators.
- Proceed to a safe evacuation area as directed by campus police.
- Wait for instructions from emergency responders.
- Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrant areas and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do not re-enter the building or work area until instructed to do so by campus police, who are acting under the instruction of the incident commander.