- Learning Goals for a Major in Mathematics with a Concentration in Statistics
- Learning Goals for a Minor in Statistics
At Wittenberg, math majors will develop a breadth of understanding
in calculus, linear algebra, statistics, and computer programming,
along with a depth of knowledge in algebra, analysis, or statistics.
- Students will formulate complete, concise, and correct mathematical proofs.
- Students will frame problems using multiple mathematical and statistical representations of relevant structures and relationships and solve using standard techniques.
- Students will create quantitative models to solve real world problems in appropriate contexts.
- Students will effectively use professional level technology tools to support the study of mathematics and statistics.
- Students will clearly communicate quantitative ideas both orally and in writing to a range of audiences.
The coursework that a student undertakes with as a major in mathematics with a concentration in statistics will support the learning goals in the following way:
|Course||Writing Proofs||Prob. Solving||Modeling||Technology||Communication|
At Wittenberg, stat minors will develop a breadth of understanding
in statistics and probability,
with the goal of applying statistics in context.
- Students will summarize data visually and numerically.
- Students will build and assess data-based models.
- Students will learn and apply the tools of formal inference.
- Students will ... the mathematical and probabilistic foundations of statistical inference.
- Students will execute statistical analyses with professional software.
The coursework that a student undertakes with as a minor in statistics will support the learning goals in the following way: