The mathematics program challenges students to obtain sophisticated theoretical knowledge and problem-solving skills that resolve real-world issues.
At Wittenberg, the study of mathematics will train your mind in critical and logical thinking, challenge your intuition and stretch your imagination.
If you are a High School student interested in Math, please fill out our online recruiting form so we can tailor our recruitment to YOU!
The mastery of mathematics is central to the sciences, both natural and social, and provides excellent preparation for any career field, technical or non-technical.
- the study of posing and solving problems, some of which may have an obvious connection with the world of numbers, while others seem to have little to do with numbers;
- determining what's relevant and how to use this information logically and analytically;
- finding tools to tackle significant and interesting problems;
- the challenge of discovery.
The formal methods used in mathematics today were first introduced by the ancient Greeks over 2,000 years ago, and so in one sense, mathematics is the oldest of the liberal arts and sciences. Even then, people realized the centrality of mathematics to liberal education. The phrase "Let no one ignorant of mathematics enter here" is said to have graced the doorway of Plato's Academy in ancient Athens.
Math in the News
- Ryan Probst '20: Challenges Himself Through CABLE Participation (published March 30, 2020)
- Preparing Students for Technology-Enabled Business Careers: Wittenberg Adds Information Systems as a New Major Beginning Fall 2018 (published April 11, 2018)
- Making the Pitch: Jonathon Felter, Class of 2007, Finds Passion in Major League Baseball (published February 1, 2018)
- On a Mission: Nuclear Engineer Tosha Bell '07 is Keeping Us Safe and Secure (published February 22, 2018)
- Diving Into Data: New Data Science Program Starts Fall 2017 (published April 25, 2017)
- Cultivating Curiosity: New M.S. in Analytics Looks to Produce Leading Thinkers and Problem-Solvers (published July 21. 2016)
- Partnership For Math Majors: Wittenberg University Announces New Partnership for Math Majors (published November 6, 2015)
- A Dedication to Higher Math: Bullock Math Academy Welcomes Community Speaker Vern Williams (published April 12, 2014)
- Mathematics Recognition: Wittenberg Professor Recognized Nationally by the Mathematical Association of America (published August 18, 2014)