LOCK IT UP!
Most break-ins occur when doors and windows are left unlocked or open and the residents are still in the building.
The following tips will help ensure your safety:
- Store valuables out of sight.
- Don't leave belongings unattended.
- Be observant! Report any suspicious activity to Wittenberg Police.
- Pull blinds and curtains before leaving home and when changing clothes.
- Never lend your key or ID. If either are lost or stolen, make a report to Wittenberg Police.
- If you live in a residence hall, keep the main doors closed at all times.
- Don't put notes with your whereabouts on doors or in plain sight.
- Keep a list and description of all your valuables (include serial numbers).
- Do not open locked doors for strangers or unexpected repair/delivery people.
- Report any ground floor or basement windows that are open, unlocked, have broken glass or are otherwise inviting to an intruder.
- Burglars look for empty houses. If you are going to be out of town, set a light up to a timer and ask a friend or neighbor to get your mail while you are gone.
- Be aware of scam artists! If a stranger approaches you asking for money, food, or transportation, call Police/Security to respond and assess the situation. If the person is in real need, Wittenberg police officers may be able to help.
- If you suspect an intruder has entered your room or apartment, don't go in. Immediately call Wittenberg Police at 327-6231.
ALWAYS REMEMBER TO CLOSE AND LOCK YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS!