- B.A.: East Asian Studies
- Minor: East Asian Studies
Click here to read complete descriptions of the East Asian Studies courses offered at Wittenberg.
Business. International Relations. Law. Environmental Science. Teaching. Journalism. Government.
These are just a few of the fields that await you with a Wittenberg East Asian Studies (EAS) degree. Graduate schools across the country, including Yale, Columbia, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and Johns Hopkins, recognize Wittenberg's EAS program and accept our graduates into their distinguished programs. EAS alumni are among the country's finest scholars and have been awarded such prestigious grants as Fulbright, Woodrow Wilson and Mellon Fellowships. At Wittenberg, East Asian Studies equals success - not only in your personal life, but in your professional world, too.
To understand and appreciate East Asia, you need to acquire the tools of discovery - a challenge EAS students eagerly accept. As an EAS student, you will learn Japanese or Chinese, developing not only your conversational skills, but also your ability to read and write. You will also rigorously study the region from a variety of scholarly approaches. The breadth and depth of its interdisciplinary curriculum set East Asian Studies at Wittenberg apart from programs at other colleges and universities, and make you increasingly well-rounded and confident.
Major in East Asian Studies
The major in East Asian Studies requires a minimum of 44-46 credits as listed below. 28-30 credits must include:
- 8-10 credits Chinese/Japanese beyond CHIN/JAPN 112
- One EAST history course
- EAST 400 Senior Seminar
12 credits from three EAST courses of the following areas:
- Political Science
- made of up electives 16 credits
- At least 12 credits of the 44-46 total credits must be at the 300- or higher level. This includes EAST 400 Senior Seminar. Students may include one 300-level EAST Language course to fulfill this requirement. These 12 credits may not be taken abroad.
- Students must complete two EAST writing intensive courses (W); including EAST 400
- In addition to completing the course requirements and maintaining the minimum required GPA of 2.0, EAS majors are required to attend seven (7) departmental colloquia. Those who declare in their junior or senior year should discuss a modified requirement with the EAS director.
Minor in East Asian Studies
The minor in East Asian Studies requires 22 credits, 14 of which must be taken at Wittenberg and must include the following:
- Chinese/Japanese 111 and 112 or competency
4 credits each from at least two of the following areas:
- Political Science
- 8 credits made up of electives
- 8 credits at the 200 or higher level
- In addition to completing the course requirements and maintaining the minimum required GPA of 2.0, EAS minors are also required to attend four (4) departmental colloquia. Those who declare in their junior or senior year should discuss a modified requirement with the EAS director.