J. Robert Baker, Ph.D.
State and Local Government
Hollenbeck Hall 204
- B.A. Central Methodist College (1982)
- M.A. University of Missouri (1984)
- Ph.D. University of Missouri (1987)
Awards and Recognitions
The Omicron Delta Kappa Award for Excellence in Teaching,1990; the Central Methodist College Young Alumni Award, 1994; and the Outstanding Service to Springfield Award, 2004; the Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching, 2011.
Textbooks: Readings on American Subnational Government; and The Lanahan Readings in State and Local Government. Articles: The Harvard International Journal of Press/Politics, The Journal of Legislative Studies,Urban Affairs Review,State and Local Government Review, Western Political Quarterly, Legislative Studies Quarterly, and Southeastern Political Review on such topics as small city board systems, state political culture, U.S. state legislators, and Congressional behavior. Delivered papers to the International Political Science, American Political Science, Midwest Political Science, Southern Political Science, and Southwestern Political Science Associations.
- POLI 101 American National Government
- POLI 221 State and Local Government
- POLI 222 Urban Politics
- POLI 223 Intro to Local Government Administration
- POLI 260 Methodology
- POLI 320 Public Administration
- URBN 171 Introduction to the City
- POLI 491 Local Government Management Internship
I'm currently involved in research projects examining the origin and effectiveness of neighborhood organizations in Springfield, OH, and a multistate study of why people volunteer to serve on local boards and commissions.
- I chaired the Clark County Steering Committee on the Federally Qualified Health Care Center.
- I am the President of the Board of Trustees of Rocking Horse Community Health Center, a federally qualified health care center providing a medical home for over 10,000 patients in Springfield, Clark County, and the surrounding area.
- I recently served on the Clark County Combined Health District Board for several years, and have provided election night coverage/analysis for WIZE/WBLY radio stations in Springfield.
- I also enjoy playing golf, playing trombone, and going to different professional stadiums to watch baseball games.
- I'm a die-hard St. Louis Cardinals fan.
- I've been a member of the Wittenberg faculty since 1987.
- I am married to Mary Jo Groves, MD, and I have two children--Maddie and Miles; two married stepchildren--Wes (married to Shannon) and Katy (married to Rodger).