Skip to Content

Registering for Accessibility Services

To receive accommodations, students must complete a confidential registration process with Accessibility Services. The steps below outline the process for requesting accommodations at Wittenberg University.

After completing the request for accessibility services form, students need to submit appropriate documentation from a licensed health care provider or mental health professional. Students must provide documentation establishing the presence of a substantially limiting condition and describing its current impact on your academic success. This information is necessary for identifying possible accommodations. A clinical diagnosis is not synonymous with a disability. Evidence sufficient to render a clinical diagnosis may not be adequate to determine if an individual is substantially limited in a major life activity.

An Individual Education Program (IEP) or a Summary Of Performance (SOP) might provide sufficient information. The determination of an IEP or SOP as sufficient documentation is on a case-by-case basis as school corporations differ widely regarding the comprehensive nature of those reports. A possible exception would be an IEP or 504 Plan that meets all of the requirements defined by the above guidelines.

  • Complete an accommodation orientation with the Accessibility Services
  • Arrange accommodations with your instructors

The Accessibility Services office prepares an Academic Accommodation Memorandum (Memo) for each student receiving accommodations. This document explains the reasonable accommodations to be provided to you as a student of Wittenberg University. It is your responsibility to give a copy of our memo to each of your instructors at the beginning of each academic term.

Accessibility Services does not accept the following documentation:

  • Handwritten letters from licensed professionals
  • Handwritten patient records or notes from patient charts
  • Documentation provided by a member of the student’s family
  • Diagnoses and accommodation recommendations  on prescription pads
  • Self-evaluations
  • Research articles
  • Individual Education Program (IEP) and 504 Plans
  • A possible exception would be an IEP, CER, or 504 Plan that meets all of the requirements defined by the above guidelines
Back to top