About The Newman Civic Fellowship
Wittenberg is a member of Campus Compact, a national coalition of 1,000+ colleges and universities committed to the public purposes of higher education. Campus Compact builds democracy through civic education and community development.
The Newman Civic Fellowship is intended to honor the leadership legacy of Campus Compact founder Frank Newman by recognizing community-committed students who:
- Engage in collaborative action with others from campus or from surrounding communities in order to create long-term social change
- Take action in addressing issues of inequality and political polarization
- Demonstrate the motivation and potential for effective long-term civic engagement
As a member of Campus Compact, Wittenberg encourages students to be active citizens that participate in continuous community engagement as a way to fulfill their vocation. The Newman Civic Fellowship honors and encourages students to develop their skills to make social change happen.
For detailed information about the Newman Civic Fellowship, please see the Campus Compact Website.
Wittenberg's 2022-23 Newman Civic Fellow
“Sydney Lamb is a junior at Wittenberg University who has distinguished herself with a depth of commitment to creating inclusive learning environments and equitable communities on and off campus. She serves on student government, leads a chapter of the co-ed service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega, and works with local food banks and city government to address food and recreation needs of local youth. Sydney is a collaborative and compassionate leader who consistently articulates the value of civic friendship as a remedy for political polarization and path to strengthen democratic institutions. She has great potential to influence change.” (Read More - Campus Compact Site)
Past Wittenberg Newman Civic Fellows
- 2021-22: Sophie Ouellette-Wade (Read More - Campus Compact Site)
- 2020-21: Emmanual Thombs (Read More - Campus Compact Site)
- 2019-20: Gabrielle Szydlowski (Read More - Campus Compact Site)