Who We Are:
Established in 2008, The Susan Hirt Hagen Center for Civic & Urban Engagement is the most visible manifestation of Wittenberg’s commitment to community service, civic engagement and economic partnership with the local and regional community. The Hagen Center ties Wittenberg to the community and the community to Wittenberg through service, internships, research, engaged teaching and learning, and off-campus employment.
- Wittenberg students annually contribute more than $360,000 in donated time in service to the Greater Springfield area.
- Wittenberg students contribute approximately 80,000 hours/year to the local community through civic engagement that includes community service, community-based internships, community engagement courses, research, federal work study, student teaching and co-curricular activities.
- 19 of 23 Academic Departments connect students with the local community through coursework.
- Each year approximately 30 Hagen Center interns work in partnership with local non-profits, government agencies and businesses. Since The Hagen Center opened in 2008, 233 interns have addressed on 161 community focused projects.
- At the national level, Wittenberg has been recognized for its leadership and commitment to community engagement with its consistent selection for the President’s Community Service Honor Roll, and most recently received the President’s highest award status, Community Service Honor Roll of Distinction.