The university's strength over our long history is based on the quality of our faculty, staff and students and their efforts to excel. Careful consideration and attention to the hiring process are essential to maintaining our standard of excellence.
This page provides an overview of Wittenberg's notice of nondiscrimination, new employee recruitment steps and procedures, steps and procedures for engaging a volunteer, and responsibilities for which the hiring supervisor will be accountable. At any time, hiring supervisors are encouraged to consult with Human Resources about the recruitment process.
Wittenberg University is proud to be a member of the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC), a nonprofit consortium of 700+ colleges, universities, and related groups committed to being sites of belonging, where all faculty and staff can thrive. Learn more at HERCjobs.org.
Unless noted otherwise, the following documents and detailed steps are available in the HR OneNote and Forms & Links > Recruitment Forms folder on the HR Faculty & Staff Teams Channel (log-in required).
Outline of Recruiting Steps:
- 1a) Complete or Review Position Description.
- 1b) Initiate Request to Fill Vacancy (RTFV) form.
- 2) Post and advertise position.
- 3) Conduct interviews.
- 4) Reference checks.
- 5) Initiate Request to Hire (RTH) form.
- 6) Candidate background check.
- 7) Send recruiting material to HR.
- 8) HR sends appointment letter and begins orientation and onboarding process.
*Department Chairs must review the Faculty Recruitment guidelines on the Provost's site.
Engaging a Volunteer: Steps & Documents
The Volunteer Policy & Procedures are located on the HR Policies & Manuals webpage. The Volunteer Supervisor is responsible for reviewing this information prior to submitting a Volunteer Agreement, available in the Forms & Links > Recruitment Forms folder on the HR Faculty & Staff Teams Channel (log-in required).
- STEP 1: Volunteer Agreement/Supervisor. The supervisor of the Volunteer completes the required sections of the Volunteer Agreement.
- STEP 2: Volunteer Agreement/Volunteer. The volunteer then completes their portion of the Volunteer Agreement.
- STEP 3: Background Check.
- Depending on the volunteer's classification, they may be required to complete a background check.
- If a background is required, when HR receives the Volunteer Agreement, a background check will be initiated with our vendor, Universal Background Screening. The selected volunteer(s) will receive an email and/or SMS text message from Universal Background Screening with instructions on how to securely upload their information.
- Managers/Supervisors - please advise your volunteer(s) of this process and ask them to be looking for the email/SMS text from Universal Background Screening.
- STEP 4: Training.
- Depending on the volunteer's classification, they may be required to complete training modules with Human Resources and will receive information on required training via email. HR will determine and communicate training that is required to the volunteer and their supervisor.