Believing that active, engaged learning enriches a love of reading and writing, Wittenberg’s Department of English fosters strong readers and writers who consistently push themselves to pursue truth and seek meaning with integrity, compassion and creativity through critical and creative thinking, analysis, research, and intensive writing opportunities.
Students whose interests vary from literature to creative writing or journalism and publishing find the flexibility to choose courses, internships and study abroad programs that match their personal interests and academic and professional goals.
Through close interaction with faculty and numerous engagement opportunities including the Journalism Institute; the student-run newspaper, The Torch; campus journals such as Spectrum and the Wittenberg Review of Literature and Art; The List; and the Student Advisory Group to the English Department, students studying English develop essential literacy, analysis, and communication skills for any career.
Students in the department graduate prepared for pre-professional programs such as the Denver Publishing Institute and have gone on to careers in public relations, teaching, journalism, business and finance as well as writing — from screenwriting and fashion writing to editing and publishing works of various genres.
English in the News:
- Lauren Schmidt Hissrich '00: Wittenberg Grad and Ohio Native Continues to Find Success in Hollywood
- Inspiring Global Change: Wittenberg Student and ELCA Scholar from Liberia Leads Global Change (published October 30, 2019)
- Making the Most of Her College Experience: Wittenberg University Writer/Tutor Excels in Field and On Campus (published October 24, 2018)
- Between the Blocks: Wittenberg Professor's New Book Examines Comics as They Relate to Empathy (published March 21, 2018)
- Thought-Leader: Wittenberg University English Professor Elected to ADE Executive Committee (published March 15, 2018)
- Pursuing Her Passion: Lisa Clark O’Neill ’93 Finds Success in Romance Writing (published November 16, 2017)
- Award-Winning Poet: Wittenberg Series Continues with Iraqi Poet Dunya Mikhail (published November 7, 2017)
- Nationally Endorsed for Writing Excellence: Wittenberg University’s Writing Center Earns Certification from CRLA (published October 10, 2017)
- Creating Writers for Life: Connecting Writers and Readers (published February 1, 2017)
- Passing on a Love of Poetry: A Q & A with Professor Emeritus Conrad Balliet (published November 21, 2016)
- Poetic Perspectives: Witt Series Welcomes Poet Eavan Boland (published October 24, 2016)
- Creative Excellence: Alumni and Faculty Earn Ohio Arts Council Awards (published June 24, 2016)
- Gish Jen Offers Literary Lecture: American Author Gish Jen to Give Koppenhaver Literary Lecture (published September 3, 2015)