Winter Break 2020-2021 Frequently Asked Questions
All Residence Halls and ’Burbs officially close Wednesday, November 25 at 10 a.m.
Please read below for the most commonly asked questions for this winter break period.
Do I need to complete a request to stay?
If you MUST be in campus housing at any point while campus housing is closed for Winter Break (November 25 - January 17), you must fill in a request form on-line. There is no charge to stay in campus housing, provided you are approved. You must be approved to be in any campus housing at any point during Winter Break.
When does housing close for Winter Break?
All campus housing, including Residence Halls and ’Burbs are closed from November 25 at 10 a.m. through reopening in 2021. Keys must be turned in during this time period. Key pick-up and move-in for spring semester opening will be by appointment only January 14 - 17. Watch your Wittenberg email to sign-up for a check-in date and time.
Do I have to move out during Winter Break?
No. As long as you are registered and returning for Spring term, you may leave personal possessions in your assignment; however, it is strongly advised that you remove all valuables. The University will not assume responsibility for items lost or stolen. Any student not planning to return should contact Residence Life (firstname.lastname@example.org) and prepare to complete a full move out by November 25.
Can I stay in campus housing over Winter Break?
No. Campus housing is closed over Winter Break; however, if you feel you have a qualifying need, you can submit a stay request by Sunday, November 8. *NOTE* Requests to stay over the break may be denied. If approved to stay, you may be relocated to another room / building during the break.
How do I know if I qualify for Winter Break housing?
Each request is evaluated case-by-case. Break housing is limited to students who have a exceptional need to remain on campus. These reasons include (but are not limited to):
- Academic requirements unable to be completed from home
- Independent student for whom campus housing is permanent residence
- International Student unable to return home or stay off campus
- Other (Extreme situations impacting ability to complete the semester)
Is there a deadline date for the "Request Form" to be submitted?
Yes. Stay requests must be submitted through the Housing Portal by Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
When will I hear if my request is approved or denied?
Students will receive an email response before end-of business on Friday, November 13, 2020.
What happens if I don’t fill out a request form?
If you don’t fill out a request for, or your request is denied, you are expected to abide by the closing and opening dates. Accessing campus housing without approval over the break is a policy violation. You will be referred to Student Conduct and possibly subject to additional charges.
If I’m approved for break housing, are there different expectations than during the regular semester?
While campus housing is closed, a limited number of housing personnel are on duty; therefore additional rules and policies apply. Approval to stay on campus during this time is a privilege, not a right.
- Student must be enrolled for both the current and upcoming semester. If the student’s enrollment changes, they will be required to vacate break housing immediately.
- All University policies and COVID related expectations are still in effect.
- No guests are permitted for any reason during Winter Break. This includes other students not approved for break housing.
- Campus dining options during the break are available on a limited basis and are outside of the academic year meal plan. Students are responsible for making their own food arrangements and following the instructions provided for accessing campus dining options if they choose to utilize campus dining during the break period.
- During breaks, University staff may enter campus housing for Health and Safety inspections or to complete required maintenance; staying over break does not exempt entry.
- Violations of these expectations are subject to Student Conduct referral and removal from break housing.
Is Dining Services open over the holiday break?
On Tuesday, November 24, 2020, a the CDR will close at 1:00 p.m. That evening, a dinner meal exchange will be available in Post. All Fall Meal Plans end at dinner November 24, 2020. Students may purchase winter break meals in blocks of 10; however, the availability of meals will be limited and not available during holidays/university closure dates.
Spring meal plans begin at 5 p.m. on Sunday, January 17, 2021, when the CDR opens for dinner.
What if I need assistance while in break housing?
For lock outs, maintenance problems, or if you need assistance between November 25 and January 14, you will need to contact Wittenberg Dispatch at 937-327-6231.
What should I do before I leave my room for Winter Break?
- Tell your RA when you plan to leave.
- Clean room & leave in good order.
- Empty wastebaskets & recycle bins.
- Remove all valuables & medications.
- Drain and clean aquarium; take fish and/or assistance animal with you.
- Unplug all electrical items/appliances, including surge protectors, from the wall.
- Leave heat on & set thermostat to 60◦ (if applicable).
- Lock all windows. Close drapes/blinds.
- Remove all perishable food from fridge and cabinets (in Residence Halls, unplug and defrost fridge).
- Turn off lights, close and lock your door.
- Return key as instructed.
- Move all furniture and belongings at least 3-5 feet from the HVAC unit
If you are not returning next semester – You must complete a check-out with your RA.
Contact Residence Life at email@example.com for further instructions.