Residency Requirement

Living in an on-campus residential learning community throughout college is an integral part of the Wittenberg educational experience and it is important that students take full advantage of out of class opportunities to get involved and participate in leadership opportunities. As a residential university, we require all full-time undergraduate, enrolled students to reside in campus owned housing unless you meet one of the criteria below.

Exemptions to the Residency Requirement:

  • Student resides full time at the principal residence of their parent or legal guardian which is in a 30-mile drive of campus-commuter student qualification (proof of address is required via. tax form, or copy of parent and student license);
  • Student is married or has dependents in their care (proof of license or birth/guardianship is required);
  • Has earned at least 60 credit hours, and is contracted to live in their Greek organization's University-recognized chapter house (proof provided by the organizations house's official roster);
  • Is participating in a university-approved academic experience that necessitates a living arrangement outside of a 30-mile drive from campus (e.g., study-abroad programs, etc.);
  • Is 24 years of age or older at the time of admission.

To request exemption, a student must complete a Housing Release Form. The form will be reviewed, and approval or denial will be communicated via email. If the student is requesting exemption from the residency requirement for any other reason, then listed above, they must include a statement of rationale for the request with sufficient details to make a determination and additional documentation as makes sense, if insufficient information is provided the request will be denied.

All housing release approvals are dependent upon the conditions under which the initial approval was given; if the conditions are altered in any way (e.g. parent/legal guardian moves; student moves out of parent/legal guardian house; participation in a study-abroad program is cancelled; student leaves Greek housing; etc.), the student must return to campus housing or reapply and receive new approval for the new conditions.

If a commuter eligible student decides to reside on campus, they must fulfill any and all housing restrictions before they can be released to the Witten'Burbs.
By submitting a request, the student gives permission to Residence Life to verify the information contained in the request as well as information related to the student's academic, social, and financial standing as related to the request.

Students who apply for exemption with inaccurate information (e.g. a student who indicates they will be commuting from parent/legal guardian primary residence but is instead renting from a private landlord in town) will be charged through the student conduct system and can be held responsible the standard double room rate.

Students who fail to complete the exemption request form will be assigned and charged a double room rate and appropriate meal plan.

Back to top