Believing that active learning fosters the life of the mind both inside and outside of the classroom, Wittenberg's Department of Biology stretches its transformative learning environment and goes beyond the laboratory, right out into the field.
With more than 40 courses and an array of laboratory and field experiences, the biology program provides every opportunity for students to discover and pursue their passion through scientific exploration. Dedicated faculty nurture student's curiosity about the living world, and the personal environment enables students to hone advanced critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills through independent studies and collaborative student-faculty research. Committed to its Lutheran heritage, Wittenberg's department of biology infuses in students a commitment to service as ethical reasoning shapes them into ethical leaders.
Many students take advantage of the department's unique pre-health, marine science, health science, neuroscience, environmental science, and biochemistry/molecular biology programs, which prepare students to graduate with professional experience and the skills necessary for further study in prestigious graduate programs, rigorous service organizations, challenging professional careers and fulfilling personal lives.
Biology in the News:
- Beth Hagen '01 and Jesse King '06: Witt Grads Compete at Ironman Arizona (published June 18, 2019)
- Pederson Named: Wittenberg University Names First-Ever Powelson Chair in Biology (published March 15, 2019)
- Scholarship Opportunities: Two Endowed Scholarships Established for Beloved Biology Faculty Members (published September 11, 2018)
- Living the Dream: Erin Hord '17 Pursues Passion with Pacific Whale Foundation (published May 16, 2018)
- The Serengeti Rules: Award-Winning Evolutionary Biologist Sean B. Carroll to Present Wittenberg Series' IBM Endowed Lecture in the Sciences (published March 15, 2018)
- Beyond Medicine: Wittenberg’s Caroline Matchett ’14 Named a 2017 TYLENOL® Future Care Scholar (published November 9, 2017)
- Inside Costa Rica: New Study-Abroad Option Offers Cross-Cultural Experience for Scholar-Athletes (published September 2, 2016)
- Powelson Leaves Legacy: Late, Esteemed Faculty Member Leaves $2.3 Million to Wittenberg's Department of Biology (published March 28, 2017)
- Field Ecology Adventure: Five-Day Trip Leads to Adventure for Wittenberg Students (published June 9, 2016)
- Blogging in the Bahamas: Students and Faculty Share Field Study Experience in the Tropics (published June 1, 2016)
- Studying The Sea In The Bahamas: Some Things You Can't Learn in a Classroom (published May 31, 2016)
- Harbor Seal Internship: Wittenberg on the West Coast (published August 20, 2015)