At Wittenberg, we believe that becoming a teacher involves more than developing a narrowly defined set of skills. Wittenberg-educated teachers benefit from the breadth and depth of our liberal arts preparation.
As a student in Wittenberg's education program, you will become comfortable solving problems and making decisions. You will become a role model and a leader for positive social change. You also will:
- become a part of a long-standing tradition of excellence in education;
- gain an understanding of curriculum and how to teach for constructive social change;
- examine how students learn and how to engage students; and
- build collaborative relationships with faculty, who will help you make the most of your abilities.
Beginning with your first education class, you participate in clinical and field experiences that provide gradually increasing responsibilities in a variety of settings. Most education courses involve significant teaching experience in the local schools, allowing you to discover if the education profession is the right career path. When you begin your student teaching experience during your senior year, you will enter the classroom with confidence in your preparation.
Education in the News:
- Community Leaders: Alumni Trio Assumes Leadership Roles In Hilliard, Ohio (published May 7, 2020)
- Distinguished Teacher: Wittenberg Alumni Select Education Professor Brian Yontz to Receive Top Faculty Prize (published April 29, 2020)
- Teacher-Leader: Wittenberg Education Professor Named to OACTE Board of Trustees (published March 26, 2020)
- From Tattoo Design to Changing Lives: Senior Luke Campbell Helps Children With Disabilities Participate in Sports (published November 19, 2019)
- Kathryn Chadeayne '09: Springfield teacher earns award of excellence (published June 28, 2019)
- Diversity Matters in the Classroom: Wittenberg Partners With Yellow Springs Schools To Increase Educator Diversity (published January 31, 2019)
- Walking in Their Shoes: Wittenberg University Faculty, Staff, and Students Support Shoes 4 the Shoeless Effort by Volunteering and Collecting Socks (published October 30, 2018)
- New Majors and Minors Added: Justice, Law, Public Policy and Educational Studies Round Out New Major and Minor Offerings at Wittenberg University (published February 18, 2018)
- Teaching Abroad: Erin O’Farrell ‘17 Spreads Light in Prague (published December 20, 2017)
- Teaching For America: Five 2017 Grads Joining TFA (published July 26, 2017)
- Award-winning Teacher: Wittenberg Alumna Received Prestigious Milken Educator Award (published February 8, 2017)
- Coming Home: Elyse Cook Comes Home to Serve Low-Income Students (published October 3, 2016)