Interstate Reciprocity

Teacher Education graduates from Wittenberg who plan to seek a teaching position in a state other than Ohio first apply for and receive Ohio's license, then apply to the Department of Education in the sought-after State. If the State has a reciprocity arrangement with Ohio, a teaching license will likely be issued after the appropriate paperwork is completed. If the state does not have reciprocity arrangements, the teacher's transcripts may be reviewed to see if any additional coursework or requirements need to be met to satisfy licensure in that state.

Students who are interested in seeking teaching positions outside Ohio should:

  1. Apply for an Ohio teaching license. (Application for another state's license is based on holding a valid teaching license.)
  2. Contact the State Department of Education in the state in which licensure is being sought to request an application for teacher licensure (or check their website for instructions).
  3. Complete the teacher licensure application and, if necessary, send the application form to the Wittenberg Teacher Licensure Office for any required documentation by our office.
  4. States may require different competency tests and/or different passing scores than those required in Ohio. Students should plan to take these tests after they have completed the appropriate tests for Ohio if they will be seeking licensure in that state.

Note that a number of states have additional requirements or procedures that are explained in greater detail at the websites of the different state departments of education. Wittenberg offers a number of computer lab sites for our candidates' convenience; one of which is located in the Education Department building. Supplemental information is available from the Director of Licensure.

It is the candidate's responsibility to check these resources and be aware of any additional requirements for licensure in states in which they intend to teach. Reciprocity and licensure policies are subject to change and final determination of eligibility is determined by the state at the time of application.

NASDTEC is the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification. It is the organization that represents professional standards boards and commissions and state departments of education in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Department of Defense Education Activity, the U.S. Territories, Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario that are responsible for the preparation, licensure, and discipline of educational personnel.

The Interstate Committee facilitates the mobility of educators across the country by administering the Interstate Contract, by reviewing ways to eliminate the barriers to reciprocity, by adopting common language in reference to teacher certification, and by standardizing the reporting of information on teacher education program graduates.

Acceptance of the Interstate Contract agreement means that the "receiving" state will issue some form of authorization allowing the inbound certificate holder to legally teach or provide service in the receiving state, provided the license issued by the "sending" state is acceptable under the agreement. This authorization may be limited in time by the receiving state, and the receiving state may impose additional requirements that need to be accomplished before the educator can teach or practice after the end of the time limit.

For more information, visit the NASDTEC website:

Back to top