John B. Ritter, Ph.D.
Professor, geomorphology, environmental geology
BDK Science Center 119
I teach courses in physical geology, geomorphology, and environmental geology. My current research interests include temporal and spatial variations in drainage basin water and sediment yield and the associated downstream adjustments. The general objective of this research is to understand causative mechanisms for stream deposition, stability, or erosion, especially with respect to climate change. I am presently working on alluvial fan evolution in the Buena Vista valley of north central Nevada.
This work compliments previous work in southeastern California and southwestern Montana and will culminate in a review paper on the influences of climate on alluvial fan evolution. I am also working on the causes of local drainage pattern changes in the Mad River and Little Miami River systems as they relate to the formation of Clifton Gorge and other gorges in the region. I joined the Wittenberg faculty in 1990.
- Ph.D., Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University, December, 1990
- M.S., Geology, University of New Mexico, May 1987
- B.S., Geosciences, Honors Degree, Pennsylvania State University, August 1983
Memberships and Offices Held
- American Geophysical Union, 1990-present
- American Quaternary Association, 1989-present
- Geological Society of America, 1982-present, Assoc. Editor of GSA Bulletin, term 1996-1998, Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Panel Member, term 1996-1998
- Ritter, J.B. and Gardner, T.W., 1991, Runoff curve numbers for reclaimed surface mines in Pennsylvania: American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, v. 117, p. 656-666.
- Ritter, J.B., 1992, The application of field infiltration data to hydrologic model parameterization: an example from drainage basins disturbed by surface mining: Journal of Hydrology, v. 134, p. 173-202.
- Ritter, J.B. and Gardner, T.W., 1993, Hydrologic evolution of drainage basins disturbed by surface mining, central Pennsylvania: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 105, p. 101-115.
- Ritter, J.B., and others, 1993, Quaternary evolution of Cedar Creek Alluvial Fan, Montana: Geomorphology: v. 8, p. 287-305.
- Ritter, J.B., Miller, J.R., Enzel, Y., and Wells, S.G., 1995, Reconciling the roles of tectonism and climate in Quaternary alluvial fan evolution: Geology, v. 23, p. 245-248.
- Miller, J.R. and Ritter, J.R., 1996, An Examination of the Rosgen Classification of Natural Rivers: Catena, v. 27, p. 295-299.
- Ritter, J.R., Miller, J.R., and Husek-Wulforst, J., 2000, Environmental controls on alluvial fan evolution in Buena Vista Valley, North Central Nevada: Geomorphology, v. 36, p. 63-87.
- Ritter, J.B., Rumschlag, J.H., and Zaleha, M.J., 2007, Evaluating recent stream channel and pattern changes for stream resource protection and restoration: An example from west-central Ohio: Journal of Great Lakes Research v. 33 (Special Issue 2), p. 154-166.
Papers Presented at Professional Meetings
- Ritter, J.B., Rosenstein, M.A., and Rumschlag, J.H., 2004, Characterizing stream equilibrium in west-central Ohio: A case for passive stream restoration and management, 2004 North Central Meeting of Geological Society of America, St. Louis, MO, v. 36, p. 16.
- Zaleha, M.J., Ritter, J.B., and Rumschlag, J.H., 2005, Resolving fluvial, glaciofluvial, and glacial deposits using electrical resistivity ground imaging (ERGI) [abstract]: 8th International Conference on Fluvial Sedimentology, Delft, The Netherlands, p. 324.
- Weber, J., Ritter, J., de Verteuil, L., and Prentice, C., 2005, Trinidad's mega-geomorphology records the ups and downs on the edge of the Gulf of Paria pull-apart (abstract): 17th Annual Meeting of the Caribbean Geological Society.
- Ritter, J.B. and Weber, J.C., 2005, Geomorphology and Quaternary Geology of the Northern Range, Trinidad: Recording Quaternary Subsidence and Uplift Associated with a Pull-apart Basin (abstract): Geological Society of America Annual Meeting.
- Ritter, J.B., Rumschlag, J.H., and Zaleha, M.J., 2006, Evaluating recent stream channel and pattern changes for stream resource protection and restoration in west-central Ohio (invited abstract): 2006 North Central Meeting of the Geological Society of America, Akron, OH.
- Ritter, J.B. and Baban, S.M.J., 2007, GIS Analysis of Geohazards in Northern Range Watersheds Relative to Suitability Criteria for Built Development, Trinidad: Geological Society of Trinidad and Tobago Fourth Geological Conference, Port of Spain, Trinidad.
- Ritter, J.B. and Weber, J.C., 2007, Geomorphology and Quaternary Geology of the Northern Range, Trinidad and Paria Peninsula, Venezuela: Recording Quaternary subsidence and uplift associated with a pull-apart basin: Geological Society of Trinidad and Tobago Fourth Geological Conference, Port of Spain, Trinidad.
- Ritter, J.B. and Weber, J.C., 2007, Variable scales of landscape response to tectonic forcing adjacent the Gulf of Paria, Trinidad and Venezuela (abstract): Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Ritter, John B., Bacon, M. Tyler, Beck, Michael F., Erenpriess, Matthew S., Evelsizor, Aaron, Kropp, Walter W., McElwain, Daniel R., Morrow, Ross A., Shaw, Kelly A., and Winner, Troy T.,, 2008, Characterization of Habitat Quality and Hydrology of An Urban Stream Prior to Low-Head Dam Modification, Springfield, Ohio: Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, Paper 47503.
- Ritter, John B., 2008, Data-driven analysis of the hydrologic balance: Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, Paper 49906.
- Ritter, John B., Zaleha, Michael J., McElwain, Daniel R., Shaw, Kelly A., Tlachac, Heidi M., 2009, Exploration of Diamond Caverns, Kentucky, using electrical resisitivity ground imaging (ERGI): Geological Society of America North-Central Meeting, Rockford, IL, Abstract 156248.