Every student organization is required to have a full-time faculty or professional staff member serve as its advisor. Advisors are an integral part of any organization. Fraternity & Sorority organizations are strongly encouraged to have a faculty/staff advisor, but are permitted to utilize authorized non-faculty/staff advisors (generally alumni/alumnae members).
General Responsibilities for Advisors
- Serve as a resource and mentor for organization officers
- Assist the organization with meeting its goals
- Serve as a liaison between the organization and the university community
- Be knowledgeable of university policies and procedures
- Attend events and meetings as discussed with organization officers
- Help mitigate risk for all organization activities
- Serve as unofficial historians for the organization (especially if they have served for many years)
- Aid in annual officer transitions
Additional information for student organization advisors is available in the Student Organization Manual.